South Western Carpet Python Thread

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
no sorry I don't have a copy of the actual study but it is widely known in the herpetological community... it was a study done by the SA museum in conjunction with Adelaide Uni, and they found the gammon ranges pop. were much more closely related to imbricata than metcalfei. I'm not sure what possible future full species status of imbricata has to do with the matter...

no sorry I don't have a copy of the actual study but it is widely known in the herpetological community... it was a study done by the SA museum in conjunction with Adelaide Uni, and they found the gammon ranges pop. were much more closely related to imbricata than metcalfei. I'm not sure what possible future full species status of imbricata has to do with the matter...

I don't know what closely related has to do with the matter. This thread is about actual SWCP! I actually saw you on the other thread and you have just regurgitated what someone else has written there.... haha

i didn't say they were classified as imbricata, there seemed to be some confusion as to what gammons were classified as. serpentaria was saying imbricata and redfox was saying metcalfei and i thought i would would mention that they are actually not classed as either but they are closer to imbricata genetically...

There has been genetic studies done which indicated that the gammon ranges population is actually more closely related to imbricata than metcalfei Which makes sense, as there are imbricata on eyre peninsula and gawler ranges in SA, which is geographically closer to the gammons than the riverland, so I guess you could call them an intergrade between the two subspecies, but in reality, as has been said before by others on this forum, it's a continuous population, which doesn't conform to the clear cut subspecies which have been assigned by scientists to the major different forms... Much like the whole diamond/coastal/intergrade debate.

I didn't think the Imbricata populations reached over the wa/sa let alone to gawler range, Eyre peninsula. I would have though if that was the case there would be more in captivity outside of WA. ???

I don't think you can have an intergrade between two populations that don't meet.

imbricata do occur on the Eyre peninsula, they are ultra rare in the gawler ranges. They are common on offshore islands of the Nuyts archipelago, off the coast of Ceduna.

So let's go back to topic. This thread is about South Western Carpet Pythons. I'd love to see some pictures if St Francis island form. The garden island ones are quite large animals and a few people have them as pets.
I've noticed there aren't many true Swcp being kept outside of WA. @Vixen has some and I know a bloke in qld with a few pairs.
The range of colours in them is very interesting.

- - - Updated - - -

image.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

image.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

image.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

image.jpgimage.jpg

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    166.4 KB · Views: 163
Love that first and second one Snowman!

Fingers crossed for breeding my pair this year, female is in good condition / weight. :p

Love that first and second one Snowman!

Fingers crossed for breeding my pair this year, female is in good condition / weight. :p
Get the winter night time temps to 15 or under and they will breed like mice come October/November :)

Wow [MENTION=16366]Snowman[/MENTION]. I love the yellow hues in the last and second last pics and the contrast of the one in the first pic. There seems to be so much variation.
[MENTION=6452]Vixen[/MENTION] I would love to see how your geraldtons are progressing. Pretty please. :)

*whistles*

That second one is just stunning, to me a perfect example of a SW. :p

*whistles*

That second one is just stunning, to me a perfect example of a SW. :p
To me, a rare example of a SW. I love that one too :)

- - - Updated - - -

I know a friend is taking 7, WA SWCP over to the Vic expo next month. Very nice specimens too! He's not a fan of forums or the people on them though haha :)

Last edited by a moderator:
I know a friend is taking 7, WA SWCP over to the Vic expo next month. Very nice specimens too! He's not a fan of forums or the people on them though haha :)

I saw the ones he is taking over, really nice colours.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This girl is only young, but shows another natural form of imbricata.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    182.4 KB · Views: 165
To me, a rare example of a SW. I love that one too :)

- - - Updated - - -

I'll be in Melbourne for the VHS expo. I'll have to check them out. :)

All of my carpets are above! I don't have any more :(

- - - Updated - - -

I suppose that posting up different photos of the same animal almost kind of but not really counts?

This is another pic of the little brown guy that vixen liked from a different angle. Not his best spots showing, but still a photo that I like. Can I also please say...why is it that pythons have the best patterning and colouring midway down their body? It's a difficult part to photograph unless they're sitting just right.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back