Mice tied to Rats?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

The_Geeza

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
I've heard that using a little cotton thread to to tie a rat behind a mouse is the way to go... Does the snakes pass this through without issues?... Thanks

I'm keen to know about this too. My Jungle Python totally refuses rats. I've tried rubbing mouse all over the rats and he strikes and wraps them, then as soon as he gets a taste he spits them out again. I've heard about tying a thread to a rat, and thought of trying it, has anyone actually done it themselves or is it an urban legend?

A friend of mine does this with great success. I will get the name of what he uses an post on here for you.

Pretty sure [MENTION=1205]Jungle_Freak[/MENTION] uses a similar method with great success, too.

[MENTION=1205]Jungle_Freak[/MENTION] can't open that FB page mate

It is a trick that is done quite ofter and I think [MENTION=11407]Joemal[/MENTION] does this or has done it.

Really not necessary at all.Much easier to just feed the usual mouse and as the back legs are going into the snakes mouth just hand feed a rat directly behind the mouse ie: rats nose against the bum of the mouse.

Really not necessary at all.Much easier to just feed the usual mouse and as the back legs are going into the snakes mouth just hand feed a rat directly behind the mouse ie: rats nose against the bum of the mouse.
I agree but this snake has a spaz attack so need other option ;)

This is all I do. But I have had problems with snakes that freak out and jump all over the place when I have tried to introduce the rat. For snakes like that, using the cotton would be the way to go. Otherwise I wouldn't bother with the cotton.

Someone told me about this trick back in the 90s, and I used it a fair few times over the next few months with a couple of fussy Carpets. Then I learned the shotgunning technique (putting the next rodent's nose into the snake's mouth as it is swallowing the back legs, or 'shoving the rat's nose into the mouse's bum' as Ramsayi described) and I've never bothered with the cotton since, best part of 20 years ago now... gee, time flies. It's pretty rare that I have a snake which is enthusiastic on mice but not rats.

This is the reason y I asked... I have done ok with backing up rats but I have one carpet right now that freaks out so just needed to know the correct tying procedure ... Thanks for all the input

Most people who hear me use the term have never heard it before. I picked it up in the 90s from some American herpers including the one who taught me the trick. I'm not sure how common the term is/was over there, but at least a few Americans used to use it :p The term shotgun never really made sense to me, I used to jokingly call it laser rifle to a couple of the people who called it shotgun (back when I was a stupid teenager with a crappy sense of humour... as opposed to a 30-something with an equally bad sense of humour come to think of it) but a few Australians who have heard me say it seem to think it makes sense and is descriptive.

The main use I have for it is if I'm getting a tricky hatchling feeding and I have to assist feed. It's sometimes easier with a smaller item then shotgunning a larger one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back