Does your snake 'know' you?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think they certainly recognize people and know who you are, very likely through smell (in my opinion).

I have a jungle who will crawl out of his tank onto me when the door is opened, with other people he will crawl up to them but not onto them, he just sniffs around his tank instead.

They recognize a familiar 'non threatening' scent, but no more.

Just my 2c

Last edited by a moderator:
GBW google montpelier snake some time
been hanging around humans for a long time
definitely show signs of interaction

blackhead is a lot closer in his summation in my opinion
westerners are so new to snakes and we have barely scratched the surface with understanding them

Hi again Longqi,

Naturally your entitled to your opinion my friend and I am by no means attempting to argue with you. I'm sure with your experience you are aware that snakes are simple creatures and only require the basic brain function to operate and survive.

Science is familiar with the make up and ability of the reptilian brain. It appears it has not developed further in reptiles because it has been capable of assisting in their evolutionary survival the way it is. Unlike humans, there has been no reason for their brain to have developed beyond it's original state and at present there does no appear to be any major need for it to develop further as evolution progresses. They tolerate us but have no need to develop a bond or display emotion. In fact these elements could be very detrimental to their natural survival. I'm just stating scientific fact.

I don't have to Google Montpellier Snake I am aware of what they are and their distribution. I'm interested in having a look at anything you consider that may be of interest but you might have to be more specific with your Google reference. I've had no personal experience with the Montpellier Snake but I'm familiar with the fact that like Cobras, these snakes are used by snake charmers and interact with them through recognition of hand gestures but remember they are capable of recognition as a survival technique and this is by no means a display of affection, emotion and/or bonding.

Cheers.

Sometimes I will wear glasses (like a Clark Kent disguise). It really messes with my pet snakes. They are like "who the hell are you?" then I take my glasses off and they laugh "Hahahaha Snowy you got us again! We were all like whose this guy? Am I right? hahaha"...
Most pet keepers are classic examples of anthropomorphism at its finest IMO.

Sometimes I will wear glasses (like a Clark Kent disguise). It really messes with my pet snakes. They are like "who the hell are you?" then I take my glasses off and they laugh "Hahahaha Snowy you got us again! We were all like whose this guy? Am I right? hahaha"...
Most pet keepers are classic examples of anthropomorphism at its finest IMO.

lol. This is my disguise of choice. Gets them every time

Attachments

• groucho-large.jpg
    groucho-large.jpg
    23.2 KB · Views: 32
Obvious reptiles didn't needed to develop , if they got it right millions of years ago why change it.
Perhaps humans needed to evolve(still alot more needed)

Hi again Longqi,

Naturally your entitled to your opinion my friend and I am by no means attempting to argue with you. I'm sure with your experience you are aware that snakes are simple creatures and only require the basic brain function to operate and survive.

Science is familiar with the make up and ability of the reptilian brain. It appears it has not developed further in reptiles because it has been capable of assisting in their evolutionary survival the way it is. Unlike humans, there has been no reason for their brain to have developed beyond it's original state and at present there does no appear to be any major need for it to develop further as evolution progresses. They tolerate us but have no need to develop a bond or display emotion. In fact these elements could be very detrimental to their natural survival. I'm just stating scientific fact.

Cheers.

I actually agree that reptiles stop developing millennia ago because they didnt need to
They were then and are now nearly the perfect predator which wastes nothing

Scientific facts have a habit of changing

I believe that one day we will understand a lot more
I dont believe they have emotional ties like many other animals appear to have
But I do believe there is a lot more going on inside their heads than we can begin to understand at this stage

i believe snakes know the scent of their handler as they know the difference between a rat, mouse and a chicken so comon scents would prove to the snake common handlers or fed.

Oh how I looked down from my smug rug..... 4 or so years ago I "knew" my snakes loved me and only me....... Then I fell off said smug rug to the realization that they really don't give a dicky boo about me ROFL.... It appears to me that they do tolerate me, some more than others(bit like my friends lol) but that warm fuzzy emotion was totally coming from me lol Yet I bare no scathing sarcasm to those who have snakes that fetch their slippers and pipe for them each afternoon. Nay, I am happy for them and glad that they feel this way. I don't know whether I am sad or not that I have lost my rose colored glasses lol I do seriously believe that we still have a long way to go to fully understand what is going on in their reptillian minds.... My Oscar's love me and wag their tails when I walk through the door! So happy to now have an affectionate pet :evil:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back