Childreni shedding and handling question?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

chewy_num

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Brisbane, Queensland, Australia, Australia
So my childreni has begun to shed, fed him Tuesday, ate with his normal gusto and gave him a bath cause he got dirty :) and went for a cuddle on Wednesday and saw his scales going dull, fast forward to today more dull colour and his eyes have clouded over. All great signs!

Had a quick shower with him earlier (he loved the steam and warm water!) and picked him up just before and his tail was all peeling and shedding! Put him right back of course and another misting and temp check, nice and warm. The odd thing is all snakes I have heard of get really grouchy and hate being handled, they strike, hide and just get all round mean.

Neo was as relaxed as ever, even a little more so, didn't kick a fuss when I picked him up and he just sat there on my hand and watched the pretty lights on my laptop before I saw his tail.

Can I still handle him or is it in his best interest to leave a shedding snake lie?

Chewy.

His tail would have been peeling from you handling him. It's also not recommended to feed coming up to a shed.

Both of these ^^^ I learnt the hard way.

They're best off left to their own devices unless you can see something obviously wrong, such as your snake coiled under the CHE with flaking shed stuck absolutely everywhere :/

my jungle python bite his lip today and had a tooth caught, I managed to safely unhook his tooth from his lip, although from me handling him and holding him down I have knocked off some of his shed, I feel terrible... anyone have any advice? will he be okay?

It realy is best not to handle them for at least 4 days after feeding or til they past waste so their bodies can digest food correctly, snakes will stay calm and fairly sedate until food is digested so what you could be interpreting of him enjoying time out or cuddles is him trying to stay warm and still to let food digest naturally. Never handle through a shed cycle unless your prepaired with the possibilty of causing him problems when he does shed. We can easily put our wants - to handle the animals - ahead of the snakes best interest and just give them the time out from us they need at certain times of feeding and shedding (no matter how sweet and cute they may look)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back