Taking snake outdoors.

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MATER

Reaction score
Hi all,

I have seen many pictures of snakes outside on the grass etc. what is the general rule of thumb for taking snakes outside and letting them crawl through the grass?

many thanks,

joseph.

General rule of thumb is stay close :) those guys are faaaast

Sent from my HTC Velocity 4G using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator:
General rule of thumb is stay close :) those guys are faaaast

Can be tricky sometimes taking them back inside after " play time ". My diamond almost sooks when she has to come inside :)

Hi all,

I have seen many pictures of snakes outside on the grass etc. what is the general rule of thumb for taking snakes outside and letting them crawl through the grass?

many thanks,

joseph.
What is it you want to know about taking them out side?

We take all 3 of our girls outside and don't hav a problem. We had tried to feed Miss Fang earlier today and usually she takes it not a problem but today she just wasn't interested at all. We decided to take her outside on the grass for a bit of "exercise" and was out for at least 30 min maybe more and then took her back to her tank and offered the rat and she took it straight away. I believe it give them a bit of movement that they may not get in their tanks and is good for them. There are people that may disagree with it but we enjoy seeing our girls in the "wild" environment :)

I built a skinny 'run' outside for my coastal. 3m long by 1m wide by 1m high. I just built a really basic frame and closed it all in with some fine chicken wire. Sowed some nice grass in it and one of those blue kiddie shell pools. I don't leave him out there alone but I'm really enclosed with ti tree where I live and if he took off I'd a have a HELL of a time finding him.
I'm not sure its necessary to take them outside, I just like to give him a chance to stretch all the way out :) he doesn't look to get out, though just cruises around and has the occasional swim, I think he enjoys it.

if they are small hatchies watch out for birds that will pinch them.

I know I want to take my woma outside but she's such a fast little thing. I sometimes wonder if one of those play pens made with the netting stuff would be good for her to slither round in

I know I want to take my woma outside but she's such a fast little thing. I sometimes wonder if one of those play pens made with the netting stuff would be good for her to slither round in

Or one of those old wooden dowl style playpens, sometimes you see them at op shops, you could put it on the lawn and staple some shade cloth to the inside? you wouldn't be able to leave her alone in it but if you made sure you were watching her, it'd be easy to keep her in

Mine love the old hills hoist. The mynahs let me know when its time to bring them in..

Last edited:
Or one of those old wooden dowl style playpens, sometimes you see them at op shops, you could put it on the lawn and staple some shade cloth to the inside? you wouldn't be able to leave her alone in it but if you made sure you were watching her, it'd be easy to keep her in

yeah I was thinking of one of those old fashioned ones if I put something around/over the sides to sit in with her

No book I have ever read "talks about disease and infection" from allowing your snakes to contact grass. What on earth do you think snakes in the wild, or even wild snakes in people's backyards do? Do you think they levitate across the ground? For goodness sake, do some proper reading and connect your snake with the real world.

Jamie

Books etc talk about disease n infection . Can they catch bugs ?

I'm don't know @MATER, maybe? but I couldnt be sure, I'm sure there's SOMETHING, they could potentially pick up. But I think it'd be unlikely, just as likely as picking something up from me. I mean dogs can potentially pick up bugs outside, but it doesn't stop me walking them.
Maybe mites from the grass? But I think reptile mites mostly come from other reptiles, don't quote me though cause all I know about mites is how to find them and kill them :)

Thank you Jamie,

being a new owner of a snake, I am seeking advice from other people experiences. Wild snakes an captive snakes I am sure but not convinced maybe more susceptible to bacterial infections etc. hence why do they recommend you feed captive bred mice rats etc and not wild animals caught . knowing humans can catch disease from dog and cats crap it was a simple qs that I have not read in a book or I would not be asking it.

Regards.

Thank you Jamie,

being a new owner of a snake, I am seeking advice from other people experiences. Wild snakes an captive snakes I am sure but not convinced maybe more susceptible to bacterial infections etc. hence why do they recommend you feed captive bred mice rats etc and not wild animals caught . knowing humans can catch disease from dog and cats crap it was a simple qs that I have not read in a book or I would not be asking it.

Regards.
wild rodent etc may have eaten baited traps.... In all honest it's fine to take your beloved pet snake out for a slither on the lawn... They will usually do there bussiness while out .... Just be aware various birds will go crazy In the trees so keep close as not to have a bird attack the head... It's very safe to allow your snake some exersise but just use common sense ... Pete

If you're really worried though [MENTION=39641]MATER[/MENTION] just put your snake on your shoulders or something and sit and read a book :) but beware....... , you'll most probably get crapped on :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back