Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tyl3r

Reaction score
Hi guys,
I am going to build a 4ft 3 bank enclosures and keep 2-3 Pygmy Beardies in one, 3 Jackys in another and then I'll have one spare. What lizard do you guys think would be suitable to keep in a 4x2x2ft enclosure? I want something different (not beardy or bluey) and am not the biggest fan of geckoes.

Thanks,
Tyler

I suggest an ackie to put in the spare enclosure or even Pygmy monitors interested to see how the enclosure goes

good luck

Yeah I was thinking maybe an Ackie as well.. But not too sure yet. I want to figure it would before I set up all the lighting + where I am going to put them heat wise, at the moment I am having the jacky at the bottom so it doesn't get affected by the heat of the Beardies enclosure.

No offence, but separate your beardies. Putting two or three together is asking for trouble. They will likely either fight and injure one another, or at the least one will dominate the other(s) for food and basking spots etc.

No offence, but separate your beardies. Putting two or three together is asking for trouble. They will likely either fight and injure one another, or at the least one will dominate the other(s) for food and basking spots etc.

Agreed. I would be keeping the empty one and a spare in case you do have problems, sick or injured animals need to be seperated.

Rick

You don't need a whole enclousre spare for a sick or injured animal? wouldn't you want it in a bit of a smaller space to keep a good eye on it?
Whats the point in have a enclosure sitting there with nothing in it?
Try the beardies together and see how they go before buying something else to put in the spare enclosure and if they are all getting on well leave them if not seperate them :) and if one becomes more dominate at feed time put 3 feed bowls in different parts of the enclosure and put a lizard at each if not just seperate until fed then put them back into the enclousre :)

Caleb.

I have heard that Pygmy Beardies are social and don't mind the company of others? Correct me if I am wrong. I won't be stupid and put 2-3 males in there, 1m2f trio will go in there. I will do what Caleb said and keep the spare enclosure spare for a few months and if any problems arise, put the male in there and keep the 2 females together.

Once the beardies have lost toes and/or tail tips, it's too late to separate them. Yes, some people have kept them together successfully, but a far greater number of people have not. Not worth the risk in my opinion. Get a breeding pair, keep one to a tank, and put them together to mate, if you decide to go that way. Beardies are not social reptiles, but prefer to live solitary lives. If you want to keep lizards together, go with geckos or some skinks.

- - - Updated - - -

Even the Jacky's get on better than beardies do I think.

Get a Pygmy beardie like you said, and your Jacky's and maybe a storr's or Pygmy mulga monitor. Both of them grow roughly the same size as a central beardie.

I already have one Pygmy but wanted to get 2 more the same size, but not sure if I'll do that now, I have 3 Jackys living together fine, haven't had any issues yet.

Thanks for the idea pinefamily :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back