Bearded Dragon Tank

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tyl3r

Reaction score
Hi ,
I recently set this enclosure up for a Pygmy Bearded Dragon that I will hopefully be getting Tuesday. I still need to put the heat light in, but is there anything that I have missed that I should get on top of? At the moment, I have UVA/UVB light, water dish, salad dish, thermometer/thermostat, hide and newspaper as a substrate. I am going to buy the heat light hopefully this weekend.

So yeah, if you guys could let me know what I missed that would be great! :)

Thanks,
Tyler

IMG_1894.jpg

Hi Tyler looks like you have most hings covered but you need a log or rock so your little guy can climb up close to the heat lamp if he wants plus you might want to put some vents in the lid so he doesn't overheat.good luck with your new dragon

The lid doesn't cover the whole tank, there is about an inche on both sides of the lid. Ok, I will get a stick or something ! :) Thanks

Definitely on the decor...branches, fake plants/leaves, a hide rock or two, maybe some substrate.
The beardy needs environment stimulation & places to hide & perch, the emptiness of the enclosure will stress it out.

I would have put both lights on one side. The dragon will need a bigger enclosure once it is an adult

I know the dragon will need a bigger enclosure when it is older :) This is just while it is a bub then I'll move it to a 4ft.

- - - Updated - - -

Definitely on the decor...branches, fake plants/leaves, a hide rock or two, maybe some substrate.
The beardy needs environment stimulation & places to hide & perch, the emptiness of the enclosure will stress it out.

I was talking to a breeder yesterday and he said that while it is a baby, have less decor in the enclosure because the crickets will hide and eat the beardy of a night time?

yes that is true but he needs a bit more cover. Just make sure he eats his crickets and when u switch the lights off just remove any that are crawling around

Ok thanks, also with sand, not sure if I want to use it until it is a bit bigger, just in case of impaction, etc. That is the reason I am using newspaper, better safe then sorry. :)

- - - Updated - - -

Just added a piece of driftwood and a fake plant on the hot side. Thoughts now? Anything I should change/take out?
View attachment 304199

Can't see the picture, but as long as your new little mate can get closer to the heat it should be good. Yes less is better when they are very young, but introduce more rocks/hides/plants/etc each couple of months to keep him stimulated, even move the things around as well. Except don't put the water at the hot end.
Regarding the crickets, if you leave water and vegies in the tank all the time, they shouldn't go near your beardie.

I use fake grass for juveniles then switch when they get about a year old. You'll find it easier if you get a spare one as well, that way you can put it in while you are cleaning and drying the other one.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

I was talking to a breeder yesterday and he said that while it is a baby, have less decor in the enclosure because the crickets will hide and eat the beardy of a night time?

Crickets biting/eating your beardie can be a concern but if you leave a scrap piece of fruit or even left-overs from your beardie's meal, the escaped/uneaten crickets will always have a food source.

I got my Beardy today from Camos Reptiles :) Had the tank all set up and ready to go. All he had in his tanks for his bubs were a vine, water bowl and salad dish. Obviously UV and basking, and was using play sand from bunnings.. Which is what I am now using. :) Will post pics tomorrow

Hmm I wouldn't personally use sand mate

I got my Beardy today from Camos Reptiles :) Had the tank all set up and ready to go. All he had in his tanks for his bubs were a vine, water bowl and salad dish. Obviously UV and basking, and was using play sand from bunnings.. Which is what I am now using. :) Will post pics tomorrow

How big is your new dragon? I kept my first one on ceramic tiles then graduated to sand after she was 1 year. I now keep my dragons on either paper pellets, fake grass or newspaper. Makes cleaning up there poo easy. Sand is messy and i only use it with my monitors or geckos now.

Rick

My dragon is about 9cm nose to tip of tail.
The heat light isn't on in one of the pictures because the thermostat turned it off at 31 degrees celsius (also shown). I also took a photo of the calcium dust. Is that the right one?

IMG_1904.jpg IMG_1905.jpgIMG_1906.jpgIMG_1907.jpgIMG_1909.jpg

Hey mate I've just set up a Pygmy bearded tank myself, here's a photo of the tank that might help u to better understand their requirements

2a6uryjy.jpg
2e8ubu5y.jpg

I will switch to ceramic soon, but I got this one with the tank for free so I will use it while I can

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back