pet shops selling reptiles in nsw

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ai_herper

Reaction score
hey all
went to the pet shop with the kids to get some supplies today and noticed they had a selection of reptiles for sale...
im keeping the name of the pet shop nameless but im sure there are some smart cookies out there that will figure it out.

i have to say i was very impressed with the enclosures and the animals looked very health, but the pricing was well insulting, some double the price almost.
my question to aussie python people is do you think this will have an effect on private pricing, were prices will be jacked up cause pet shops are marking up prices more than 50%
an opinions or feed back would be good to know
cheers

Nothing wrong with making a profit. At the end of the day, it's really up to the consumer to decide whether to pay the price or not.

Just did a quick google and got this. So technically they're breaking the law.

Commercial trade in reptiles is prohibited in NSW. Pet shops are not allowed to buy or sell reptiles or even to have them on their premises, but they can sell cages and other accessories such as "hot-rocks".
Licensed keepers are allowed to dispose of their excess stock, such as the animals they breed, to other licence holders. However, they are not allowed to buy and sell animals as a commercial venture. They are also not allowed to advertise to buy or sell animals, except in the newsletters of the reptile keeper associations to which they personally belong.
There are commercial dealers in reptiles in Victoria, South Australia, the Northern Territory and ACT. If you purchase an animal from one of these dealers, or from anyone else in another state, you must already hold a NSW reptile keepers' licence and you must obtain an interstate import licence from the NPWS before you can legally bring it into NSW.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Your info is a little outdated [MENTION=39530]kpross[/MENTION]. Petshops in NSW have been allowed to sell reptiles as of August last year. Many of them have applied to sell but only now are we seeing them meet the criteria and start to stock some.

As for prices going up because of this, I doubt it. Many breeders are selling low quality and excess stock to pet shops as they are not willing to pay normal price. They are then marking these animals up to above normal prices for good quality animals. Fair enough as the pet shops have much higher overheads than a breeder. The same happens with dogs, cats, birds etc.

I don't think it will affect prices at all but it will be interesting to see how long pet shops continue to sell reptiles if they can't find any buyers. Maybe someone will buy from them?

Just did a quick google and got this. So technically they're breaking the law.

Commercial trade in reptiles is prohibited in NSW. Pet shops are not allowed to buy or sell reptiles or even to have them on their premises, but they can sell cages and other accessories such as "hot-rocks".
Licensed keepers are allowed to dispose of their excess stock, such as the animals they breed, to other licence holders. However, they are not allowed to buy and sell animals as a commercial venture. They are also not allowed to advertise to buy or sell animals, except in the newsletters of the reptile keeper associations to which they personally belong.
There are commercial dealers in reptiles in Victoria, South Australia, the Northern Territory and ACT. If you purchase an animal from one of these dealers, or from anyone else in another state, you must already hold a NSW reptile keepers' licence and you must obtain an interstate import licence from the NPWS before you can legally bring it into NSW.

Come on. I'm from WA and even I know the changes. Buying and caring for reptiles | NSW Environment & Heritage

hey all
went to the pet shop with the kids to get some supplies today and noticed they had a selection of reptiles for sale...
im keeping the name of the pet shop nameless but im sure there are some smart cookies out there that will figure it out.

i have to say i was very impressed with the enclosures and the animals looked very health, but the pricing was well insulting, some double the price almost.
my question to aussie python people is do you think this will have an effect on private pricing, were prices will be jacked up cause pet shops are marking up prices more than 50%
an opinions or feed back would be good to know
cheers
doesn't seem to be the case in the other states where pet stores sell reptiles. Breeders are always cheaper. It's the same with dogs, birds, etc.

My bad. A little slow with news here. Carry on nothing to see here.

Personally I would rather buy direct from a breeder over a pet shop. Only because you can see the parents and condition of the rest of the family. I also think with the high pricings it will limit the amount of people that spontaneously buy them due to the high prices. People that are that keen and willing would do research and find many people selling the same reptile for a cheaper price.

My bad. A little slow with news here. Carry on nothing to see here.

Personally I would rather buy direct from a breeder over a pet shop. Only because you can see the parents and condition of the rest of the family. I also think with the high pricings it will limit the amount of people that spontaneously buy them due to the high prices. People that are that keen and willing would do research and find many people selling the same reptile for a cheaper price.Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Most serious keepers will not allow you to view what they have, We do not allow anyone access to our collection at all and never allow the handling the juvies being viewed unless the snake in question has been picked out and paid for first . There are pics for that purpose and we never have any trouble selling our juvies. Things like security and quarantine come into play.

Last edited:
Hmmmm... Petshops.
300 dollar knob tailed geckos that are sold underfed and full of parasites :S
only afew out of all the ones in Vic have quality bred and fed animals.

There are a few petshops that have started to stock reptiles, However there is a very short list on what they can keep.
It is good in some instances bringing new people into the hobby, but it also does have it bad points.

As for prices, there is always going to be retail price and hobby price. The prime example I'm aware of is expos. Alot of the snakes are marked at normal prices but introductions and getting to know people and connections can easily make things cheaper.

The petshop you may be talking about resides in the suburb of kellyville?
In which case YES they have very impressive display cases and even worse very nice expensive accessories.
I have visited a few times however never bought a snake from them and was even refused the opportunity to handle a snake i was interested in (I can understand the reasons as to why).

Unfortunately, the only people who would buy from a pet shop are those "spur of the moment" buyers who will have done little to no research (coz they'd find breeders etc if they did) and the only one that suffers will be the animal.
Yes, some will buy and then do research and get things right quickly and hopefully the pet shop staff will give them the correct information prior to purchase but the majority who do buy from a pet shop will get bored and sell on their animal.

JMO

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

i think i know the pet shop he is talking about they are a family owned business and are very reputable breeders in the area they need to make a profit they have stacks of overheads to pay for..we have all had this discussion before....each to their own buy from who you want to buy from....:D

I may of actually got my snake from the same petshop (liverpool area?), I had done my research prior, and actually had a deposit on a wheatbelt from a reputable breeder but then came across a julatten when I went in for supplies, which is what I actually originally wanted, but couldn't find one for sale at that current point in time, so I made the impulse buy, I liked the look of it and price wasn't really an issue to be honest, same as anything, if you want something you will pay for it, I asked what price they had on a particular albino darwin, now I've seen these for sale from other breeders for around $900, and their price was $750.

only afew out of all the ones in Vic have quality bred and fed animals.

one of those is amazing amazon BEST pet shop out just go to the reptile section and give the little guy there a few winks and he's like butter

Hey all
Like I said im not going to name the pet shop, this is not an aim to rubbish this petshop. Its just to read peoples opinions on how this will /will not pushup private breeders prices in the hobby.
Like I said I thought the animals looked healthy and the displays were incredible, and it gives my kids and others a free look on how they live in captivity.
the price was a bit high and I do understand there with business there are overheads and profit margins to meet, and its really a choice of which the customer has to make.

I didn't find the $ to bad . Tbh it was on par with breeders in the local area ( Campbelltown area ) I have full support of all staff , and my jungle is amazing to handle in and out of his enclosure , I have mine displayed in a decent size enclosure , I paid $325 got a juvie and 650 for enclosure with everything he and I would need and can't be happier with the shop and there service .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

i think if a petshop only marked up live animals by 50% they would go broke. dead good are marked up by at least that and they dont require feeding , cleaning and the risk of dying. Pet shop service a differnt demand to backyard breeders and so should not effect the price.

If I posted every private "breeder" add I saw that was way too expensive my fingers would get sore from typing! You only ever here about it when a "shop" is expensive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back