Where do you get cheap co2 from?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think we're getting off track. Gas equilibration is well researched & I don't think what I'm saying is remotely controversial, but I take your point Wokka. Open top containers work. Thanks for the reality check. However, why not use a sealed container, preferably with an airlock, & save some money on gas? This would also allow better control over CO2 concentration. If you need a large volume commercial brewing equipment might be the go.

I still use a leaky container with a soda stream - one day I'll get around to upgrading & trying out my ideas.

And yes DarwinBrianT you're faster than I am & I don't pay enough attention to prior posts. I'm suitably chastised.

Last edited:
I had a one way valve bought from a brew shop to stop the beer going back into the CO2 line but found the pressure needed to activate it in the reverse direction was to great for it to work properly.

- - - Updated - - -

All the stuffing around trying to make the perfect system was just not worth it when a leaky lid on a plastic tub worked fine.

Co2 fire extinguishers, second hand ones are great, I have 2 5kilo ones cost less than purchasing 1 soda stream re-fill.

just don't power the activation switch too hard or you will stress your cull or freeze your cull. (No exaggeration) just a little squeeze will let the gas out that you need.

Gum tree is fantastic for sharing and obtaining cheep and free stuff.

good luck and such.

Last edited:
Co2 fire extinguishers, second hand ones are great, I have 2 5kilo ones cost less than purchasing 1 soda stream re-fill.

just don't power the activation switch too hard or you will freeze your cull. (No exaggeration)

Gum tree is fantastic for sharing and obtaining cheep and free stuff.

good luck and such.
Thanks, I'll look into that. Cheers

Just going off the CO2 track for a second, if you're looking for the most humane option, I think it has to be said that a nice hard surface combined with a reasonable amount of velocity is easily the best way. For a set up your size it's the easiest too. I only use the soda stream if I'm doing 10 or more at a time. Otherwise, it's the side of the house and a calibrated swing.

Just going off the CO2 track for a second, if you're looking for the most humane option, I think it has to be said that a nice hard surface combined with a reasonable amount of velocity is easily the best way. For a set up your size it's the easiest too. I only use the soda stream if I'm doing 10 or more at a time. Otherwise, it's the side of the house and a calibrated swing.

Although it brings the killer into direct contact with the victim (like stabbing as opposed to shooting from a distance!) I agree with Daniel. I often use a quick, firm swing to knock the rat's head against the edge of a bench, leading to instantaneous death. No gasping for air as they run out of oxygen. Still hate it though...

Jamie

Do you swing by the tail? I tried this once as I was killing one rat for a fresh feed and the skin came off the tail as I swung and the rat flew off into the wall but due to leaving the swing early didn't have enough momentum to kill the rat. This was very disturbing and I had to quickly pick the tremoring rat off the ground for a second swing. I gassed every rat after that.

Yeah Jamie I’ve had friends outside of the herp hobby question my mental stability when I describe the process but since it’s a necessary evil, I think it’s our responsibility to find the “best” way rather than the easiest way.

Do you swing by the tail? I tried this once as I was killing one rat for a fresh feed and the skin came off the tail as I swung and the rat flew off into the wall but due to leaving the swing early didn't have enough momentum to kill the rat. This was very disturbing and I had to quickly pick the tremoring rat off the ground for a second swing. I gassed every rat after that.
Where on the tail were you holding it? It’s very important to be as close to the base as possible and you need a firm grip. I’ve only ever had it happen twice in the early days and the first time was because I was holding the tail about halfway. The second time was a wild rat that had apparently eaten some poison and so I think it may have something to do with the health (particularly hydration) of the animals too.

Yeah [MENTION=21544]saximus[/MENTION] it was the end, I figured it would give me the best force for effort. This is where the problem lies with methods that require physical actions. It usually is a trial and error process until the process is refined enough to be considered humane. The same can be said for cervical dislocation which is also a very quick and humane method if administered correctly. This is why the RSPCA recommends gassing for the most humane method for an untrained person. I am not knocking you or your method but more reinforcing why I choose gassing. I don't really know which is best , a little suffering (gas) for a lot of rats or a lot of suffering (physical methods) for one or two rats?

Yeah I definitely agree with being shown in person by someone who knows what they're doing before attempting anything. I would also personally suggest practicing on rats that are already dead. That’s how I practiced CD (but then decided that’s too hard for anything bigger than adult mice). Anyway as long as people are trying their best and not doing stupid stuff like freezing alive then each to their own.

Sorry for going off track a bit Brian but just thought you might want to consider it.

Andy, you don't have to use a full overarm "bowling" action to strike the rat's head hard enough, just a strong downward whack from about 30-40cm above the bench should render them instantly unconscious and dead, far quicker than CO2. It's the centrifugal force generated by too big a swing that causes the tail to shed its skin. I don't even like talking about this because I hate killing them so much...

If state authorities were really serious about humane treatment of animals, this is the area where NPWS should have focussed their attention with regard to any Code of Practice - there are far more ghastly things inflicted on rats and mice in the name of feeding reptiles than there ever is on the reptiles we keep.

Jamie

Last edited by a moderator:
Andy, you don't have to use a full overarm "bowling" action to strike the rat's head hard enough, just a strong downward whack from about 30-40cm above the bench should render them instantly unconscious and dead, far quicker than CO2. It's the centrifugal force generated by too big a swing that causes the tail to shed its skin. I don't even like talking about this because I hate killing them so much...

If state authorities were really serious about humane treatment of animals, this is the area where NPWS should have focussed their attention with regard to any Code of Practice - there are far more ghastly things inflicted on rats and mice in the name of feeding reptiles than there ever is on the reptiles we keep.

Jamie

Unfortunately I was not told or shown how much force as I just read that it was easy and you just whack it on the brickwork and I was thinking too much was better than too little so I went heavy and was going to tone it back with each additional rat to a point that there was less external damage to the rat but it was dead. I see that is the problem , people say do it but do not stipulate where to hold the tail , how much force and what can happen if too much or too little force is applied. I know some common sense needs to be applied but I certainly didn't go to extremes with the force I applied and was just worried about what I would do if too little force was applied.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back