The dog thread

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Little miss Gypsy the white shep :)

The first pic is of her as a puppy, 2nd is off her an my mum on Christmas day last year, 3rd is her snuggling with her daddy at 12 months, and 4th is the most recent at 20 months :)

303383_294451867299836_786049182_n.jpg532522_414541868624168_1375668482_n.jpg317905_430687923676229_1736921117_n.jpg68421_403797156365306_1893300889_n.jpg

Last edited:
[MENTION=1510]imported_Varanus[/MENTION]

What type of dog is the black tan one ? he looks like my girl, Katana

He's a Dingo from the Walter James Range near Warakuna (WA). Katana looks similar and is likely a cross of some sort, at a guess? You can send a blood sample to the US and have the dog's exact make up checked if you want to go that far? Dingo comes back as not on the data bank.

He's a Dingo from the Walter James Range near Warakuna (WA). Katana looks similar and is likely a cross of some sort, at a guess? You can send a blood sample to the US and have the dog's exact make up checked if you want to go that far? Dingo comes back as not on the data bank.

I have been tempted but have heard the DNA tests arn't overly accurate as a lot of markers are common in more than one breed.
She was sold as a German Shepherd x Belgium shepherd. But I often get asked if she is a dingo due to her looks and intelligence. She doesn't jump fences but has worked out how to open a few types of locks as well as undo knots and sliding doors.

I have been tempted but have heard the DNA tests arn't overly accurate as a lot of markers are common in more than one breed.
She was sold as a German Shepherd x Belgium shepherd. But I often get asked if she is a dingo due to her looks and intelligence. She doesn't jump fences but has worked out how to open a few types of locks as well as undo knots and sliding doors.

She does look like there's some Shep in there. Full Dingos are double jointed, you can try the head test by bending the head straight back to the shoulder, check the lower leg for a double joint, white tail tip, howling (as opposed to barking) and massive canines are a dead give away, along with wider face (cheeks).

Dingos also behave alot like cats in many respects in terms of an independant nature.

She does look like there's some Shep in there. Full Dingos are double jointed, you can try the head test by bending the head straight back to the shoulder, check the lower leg for a double joint, white tail tip, howling (as opposed to barking) and massive canines are a dead give away, along with wider face (cheeks).

Dingos also behave alot like cats in many respects in terms of an independant nature.

She is a cross but just cant say 100% if what I was told it true, her teeth definitely are on the large side for her. funny you should say they act like a cat as a puppy she would try and sit on the back of the lounge -_- Kat loves people though as long as they have food, she sticks to me like glue at home, away from home though its like shes deaf and plain out ignores me

She is a cross but just cant say 100% if what I was told it true, her teeth definitely are on the large side for her. funny you should say they act like a cat as a puppy she would try and sit on the back of the lounge -_- Kat loves people though as long as they have food, she sticks to me like glue at home, away from home though its like shes deaf and plain out ignores me

If there's something in it for him, or he wants to, he'll play nice, but any other time it's all on his terms. Positive reinforcement as opposed to negative works well (negative dosen't work at all), as does distraction when he's doing something that's not wanted rather than a telling off. It's really the owner who has to adapt rather than the dog:). At 8 months, he's definately smarter than a 2-3 year old dog.

Very similar to Kat, if its a game she wants like fetch (mind you she had to watch another dog to figure out what she was supposed to do) then she will sit, drop, shake etc, same as her food shes a dream, but out on a leash its like new smell overrides everything. She was attacked by a foster dog a few times and because I always stood in now shes older she returns the favour and wont allow another dog between myself and her. Even if shes not dingo she has a few traits that are scary similar. I let her get away with way too much as my old house mate used to make her bite etc as a game then hit her when he had enough as soon as I found out what was happening he was out on the curb, but it has affected her she gets sulky and crawls up to you if shes in trouble

Can't dogs be double jointed anyway though. I know my dog Gypsy is double jointed we call her snake dog cause shes always coiling and being a weirdo. I should try snap a shot of it cause it is actually quite funny :)

Can't dogs be double jointed anyway though. I know my dog Gypsy is double jointed we call her snake dog cause shes always coiling and being a weirdo. I should try snap a shot of it cause it is actually quite funny :)

Check this article out for further clarification Shaggy:).

Home
The Sanctuary

Australian Dingo Foundation

Contact Us

Dingoes are not dogs

Pure dingoes will always be wild creatures.

There is a broad misinterpretation that the dingo was once a "domestic dog" before he went wild in Australia, and really has developed from the common pye dogs of Asia. That is totally incorrect. The dingo has always been a wild canine - which developed as the wolf of Australia. Primitive peoples may have utilised puppies for whatever purpose, watch animals, food source, camp cleaners, but they did this by taking young animals from the wild. Unlike the African Wild Dog, or the Asian Dhole, both of which are older evolutionary prototypes of canidae; the dingo does not need to live in a pack and be taught to hunt to survive. The dingo has his prey drive inbuilt as instinctive behaviour. He is a natural predator animal. Pure dingoes, like wolves, are still locked genetically into annual breeding cycles.

He also will fit in with social pack hierarchy, as does the wolf, but this is learned behaviour. Whilst the pye dogs may have a shared ancestor thousands of years ago, today they bear no family relationship with the pure Australian dingo. They are modern offshoots of mongrel crosses. If one wishes to hold a belief that a dingo is a domestic dog, then the breed is by far the oldest and purest breed in the world, but it is a naturally evolved one and not man-made. Pure dingoes can never become "domesticated" while they remain pure. They are genetically locked into their primitiveness. Similar to what has occurred globally with wolves, coyotes and other wild canid species, which are all able to interbreed, only by crossing with domesticated breeds can the integrity of this genetic blueprint become impaired.

Very little scientific biological study and documenting of dingo uniqueness has occurred, other than to seek simpler means of exterminating them. This is a travesty . Here are some pictorial records showing the unique physical capabilities of the dingo, which are generally impossible for dogs

Pictures: Sars and Ayjay model their super flexibility, and ability to totally relax when suspended .

Dingoes come in three colours
(all with more or less white markings at extremities)

It is a rare and wonderful privilege to share communications with another species. A successful bond with a dingo can fulfil such a privilege.

True Dingoes, on the other hand will never condescend to obey man except when it suits them and will for ever retain the ability to fend for themselves in allegiance only with mother nature. Understanding the Dingo makes man feel like the tiny cog in the machinery of the natural universe that he really is. The dingo owes nothing to man. He is therefore incorruptible. Fundamentally this is why most humans will always view dingoes in a negative sense.

History | Dingoes are not dogs | Future |Owning a dingo

Make a Donation

Please help save these iconic Australian natives

Dingo Facts

Dingoes only have one breeding season per year

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The first European to see a dingo was William Dampier a Dutch explorer in the late 1600's
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Radio-collared dingoes spent 75% of their time within 6 kilometres of their release point

Contact Us | Terms of Use | Legal | Privacy Statement| Site Map
Copyright © 2013 - Dingo Discovery Centre ---. All Rights Reserved.

Interesting read. I used to volunteer at the zoo and sit around watching the dingoes when it was lunch, very fascinating animals. My mums always wanted a dingo friend but pures are illegal in qld from memory. There's a cross that frequents the local dog park though. He's pretty nice, I nicknamed him Chupacabra ^_^

Thinks he is a lap dog :p

1459194_10152149573107498_413872016_n.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1390774642330.jpg uploadfromtaptalk1390774679548.jpg

The first pic is a golden retriever I grew up with him his name was Boomer and he sadly passed away at age 13 in September due to very bad arthritis in his bacl legs

In the second pic is a dog named TJ (tyler junior) he is still with us and is a sook bag

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Wazza and Abi, best dogs :) the dad was a kelpieXpointer and mum was a pure golden lab
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/01/27/nuba8e4e.jpg
Wazza was born old and is the biggest wimp EVER the cat, little, is the boss of the whole house,
Abi has never grown up doesn't listen to word I say and never has,
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/01/27/ezebuze8.jpg
but if my 3 year old.tells her to sit she immediately obeys :/
3u2e2yde.jpg

Sent from my HTC Velocity 4G using Tapatalk

Oops pics didn't work
uhuzejav.jpg
e2e5ynyn.jpg

The mum was a pure golden lab and the dad was a pointer X kelpie mutts are my fav :) the little cats name is Little and she's the boss of everyone
Sent from my HTC Velocity 4G using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back