Basic Breeding of Spotted Pythons?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

markannab

Reaction score
Hi all

I have in mind buying a second spotted python to breed with my current one. But I have two simple questions for those in the know.

I'm aware of the dangers, in many circumstances, of housing two or more snakes together. This can particularly be a problem if two snakes are of the same sex or are significantly different in size. But what about housing – permanently – two spotted pythons together (one male; one female)? Here are the two questions:

1. Is all danger mitigated? I ask this because, I assume, they surely wouldn't see each other as food since they're similar sizes and, not being the same sex, I would think they wouldn't be territorial.

2. If it is safe to keep them together, will their living together permanently reduce the chances of them breeding? That may seem a strange question, but I've often read of breeders bringing the snakes together at the "right time", as opposed to putting them together well ahead of breeding season.

The reason I'm interested in having them housed permanently together is that I have limited space. My wife raised the idea of buying a third snake today, which was very pleasing. However, and understandably, it's on the condition that it doesn't involve squeezing another enclosure into the house!

Thanks for any help,
Mark.

If the two snakes are identical in size
If they have similar feeding habits
If you always separate when feeding
If you are experienced enough to read warning signs

Then you possibly will get away with it

BUT
Frequently pairs dont breed if kept together
If you make a mistake you will have 1 fat snake

Thanks very much for your reply. I respect your experience and knowledge. It gives me something to think about.

I had my 2 living apart and would get them out together 1 or 2 time aweek. I have had them living together for over a yr now with no problem and my male is abit bigger then the female i feed them on the same day and after feeding i keep them apart for upto 3hr then put them back together

I have 3 pythons inside the house which are all females, my wife was going to buy me a male partner for one to live in the same enclosure as it's partner and I refused. I really want to breed my snakes one day but until I find a way (in the process of building reptile room) of housing them all separately and have adequate space to incubate and raise hatchlings I think it is ridiculous to even contemplate it. Seriously if you don't have room for one more enclosure where do you plan on incubating the eggs, raising hatchlings until they are old enough to sell and then dealing with any hatchlings that don't sell and realistically unless you have some really special spotteds there are a hell of a lot of breeders out there already and some of them with a customer base established still have trouble selling all hatchlings straight away.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back