Do rough scaled pythons need belly heat?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jacevy

Reaction score
As the title says.

I'm setting up my enclosure in which I have a heat lamp with a top down heat gradient being produced.
I am wondering if I need a heat tile with a hide over it on the ground or are the RSP like the Greens and just need the ambient temperature.

RSP's are arboreal pythons, meaning that they prefer to spend most of their time off the ground in branches so belly heat would not be advisable. Also they are apparently remarkably similar to the Green Tree Pythons.

Mine spend as much time on the ground as they do on their branches. I suggest you use a similar setup to that which will suit a Carpet Python. They are much more active than my GTPs.

Jamie

I have been wondering for awhile in regards to heating arboreal species, what if you were to make a "heated perch" by getting some PVC pipe or something and threading some heat cord through? Sorry if this sounds really stupid

I have been wondering for awhile in regards to heating arboreal species, what if you were to make a "heated perch" by getting some PVC pipe or something and threading some heat cord through? Sorry if this sounds really stupid
Not stupid PP, has been done by some APS users, but not sure of design or actual setup

Only 1 of my 4 RSPs hang on the floor, the others spend 90% of the day on their sticks, I would go for top heat over floor heating for them. But that heated stick idea is pretty good. I know someone that does this for his Boyd's. He cuts open one of those flexible vines from the petshop and inserts the heat cord, then he silicones it back together.

Greg Maxwell covers heated perches. Not a good idea - it gives your snakes no choice and it's about the same as belly heat for other pythons. Much better to offer radiant heat from a heat panel. I make mine by weaving heat cord into 25x25mm welded mesh fitted into a frame and covered with shadecloth. Tropical rainforest snakes need balmy, warm air and humidity, not something hot to curl up on, no matter how innovative it sounds. May work with lizards which have legs to separate them from the perch.

Jamie

Awesome thanks for all the info.
I now have another question.
How do you make a click clack for an arboreal snake?
The snake I am getting is a yearling but small so I was thinking a large click clack before I put in an enclosure.

Awesome thanks for all the info.
I now have another question.
How do you make a click clack for an arboreal snake?
The snake I am getting is a yearling but small so I was thinking a large click clack before I put in an enclosure.
You should take a look at some of Brian barczyks GTP ones. Just make some holes and put some pipe through ;)

- - - Updated - - -

Maybe two perches. One heated one and a normal/non heated one abit lower down

- - - Updated - - -

Maybe two perches. One heated one and a normal/non heated one abit lower down

I've got a male that spends a good portion of his time on the ground & a female that heads to her perch nightly. Since they're above other snakes they receive some rising heat from the lower enclosures.

The perches underneath the heat source warm up anyway, I don't see the point in heated perches myself.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back