Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Andy, The cells that make up the lining of the digestive tube include goblet cells, so named because of their shape, which produce mucous. The mucous produced covers the lining cells protecting them from self-digestion. These cells are also geared to readily replace themselves when damaged. The products of digestion are carried by chemicals that are able to go through the protective mucous layer. This is why most regurgitated food items are “slimy” – they are coated in mucous. I have a preference for Bourbon myself. Brandy and OP dark rum are also appreciated on the very rare occasion I am offered access to them these days.

Blue

Thanks for that Blue, I should have put two and two together on that one. Maybe too many beverages,haha. I actually had heard of goblet cells and their function as I have had chronic acid reflux which can lead to Barrett's oesophagus which as you probably know is the changing of the oesophagus wall cells to goblet cells to produce the mucous and protect from the rising acid from reflux. Sometimes knowledge is being able to piece together the bits of information that you have learnt separately and apply it practically.

Cheers
Andy

- - - Updated - - -

Sorry for your loss :cry: but did you watch it eat the mouse. It might have swallowed it the wrong way (pretty much impossible but might have happened) or a claw might have gotten caught in his mouth and torn down his throat as he swallowed (hence the throwing up and blood). Then bacteria might have gotten into the wound from the mouse or saliva and since it was so close to the head and vital organs e.g. brain... you get where i'm going.
It is quite common for a snake to eat a mouse/rat backwards and it is pretty rare that a claw will cause internal damage to the extent that it will kill a snake especially considering the size of the prey opposed to the size of the snake. Not impossible but very unlikely in my opinion.

Sorry to hear about that, I lost 2 snakes last week, I usually unplug the heat completely on hot days but this one day I didn't. That one day is all it took, the thermostat in one of the tanks malfunctioned and kept the heat on, that combined with the heat outside cooked one of my favourite snakes, a coastal. The other I lost was a Murray Darling, when I found her she was positioned strangely, maybe her muscles had been convulsing before death.

She had a lot of brown fluid that had come out of her mouth. It's hard to find them like that. All my snakes had been fed prior to this. I brought the rest inside, I put them in plastic tubs. When I was checking on the other snakes after finding the two deceased ones my usually placid MD came flying out of his hide trying to bite my face. I thought of that when you mentioned your BHP was grumpy, maybe he was feeling unwell at that point and that's why he was defensive.

Chin up mate, sometimes we learn the hard way but we learn for next time.

It is quite common for a snake to eat a mouse/rat backwards and it is pretty rare that a claw will cause internal damage to the extent that it will kill a snake especially considering the size of the prey opposed to the size of the snake. Not impossible but very unlikely in my opinion.[/QUOTE]

I don't know what you are talking about but it is pretty much impossible for a snake to swallow a mouse backwards. The hair and feet facing down the body would get stuck. I should know as my granddad was one of the biggest collector of snake venom for snake antivenin in Melbourne and possibly Australia. He also was and still is the only ones in Australia that to produce sea snake antivenin.

not impossible seen it happen to other peoples snakes as well as my own hundreds of time and every time the mouse went down backwards without a problem

It is quite common for a snake to eat a mouse/rat backwards and it is pretty rare that a claw will cause internal damage to the extent that it will kill a snake especially considering the size of the prey opposed to the size of the snake. Not impossible but very unlikely in my opinion.

I don't know what you are talking about but it is pretty much impossible for a snake to swallow a mouse backwards. The hair and feet facing down the body would get stuck. I should know as my granddad was one of the biggest collector of snake venom for snake antivenin in Melbourne and possibly Australia. He also was and still is the only ones in Australia that to produce sea snake antivenin.[/QUOTE]
First of all I would like to say that your granddad is doing some good work down there collecting venom but that does not have anything to do with what you know or not know. I will place a you tube link that will show a carpet python eating a rat backwards. My snakes have also done this and I have heard of many more doing it. My comment was that it is quite easy for it to be swallowed backwards if the prey size is small compared with the snake. I wave also had snakes try and fail because the prey six was too large for this to happen.

Carpet python eats rat backwards - YouTube

Edit.

[h=1]I know they do it from the front but I've never seen them do it from behind.[/h]

Last edited:
emadatum.jpg

Not a mouse but my woma eats his rats backwards more often than not. It is pretty common.

I don't know what you are talking about but it is pretty much impossible for a snake to swallow a mouse backwards. The hair and feet facing down the body would get stuck. I should know as my granddad was one of the biggest collector of snake venom for snake antivenin in Melbourne and possibly Australia. He also was and still is the only ones in Australia that to produce sea snake antivenin.[/QUOTE]

Although your Grandfather is doing great things for the production of antivenin and must have a lot of experience, it does not make your opinion right. What you are saying is incorrect about it being pretty much impossible to swallow a mouse backwards. It is actually relatively common with it rarely inflicting any injury. Many keepers with experience would have experienced this happening with no ill effects. I have even seen prey items swallowed sideways and folded in half as well.

Aaron

Edit:- other posts were added while I wrote this. I was not jumping on the bandwagon : )

If the mouse had caused physical injury when being swallowed, you would expect a lot more blood 16 hours later when it was regurgitated. I suspect that the small amount of blood on the snake’s mouth was probably from the mouse - they bleed readily from the nasal mucosa when damaged.

Blue

I don't know what you are talking about but it is pretty much impossible for a snake to swallow a mouse backwards. The hair and feet facing down the body would get stuck.

Sorry but you are very mistaken. Snakes often eat their meal backwards. I have 2 particular BHP's who make a habit of this

_MG_6097.jpg
My bredli often eats it's tucker back to front. My woma does it occasionally as well.

I think we all know now that eating backwards is possible and the pictures are great but no need to keep pointing out the young fellows mistake, he has sort of admitted his mistake. Love that Bredli shot [MENTION=2936]Paul Atkinson[/MENTION].

Hi Rumpig,
tbh i haven't read every post, so i apologize if im rehashing a post already. IMHO if you buy rats/mice and they have blood on their nose, they have been defrosted, commercially accepted euthanized food is CO2 asphyxiated hence no hemorrhage.
I keep my BHP in pretty much the same environment as you have yours, Shredded pine, marketed for pets bedding. ive never had an issue.

for the record, i live in a 10 km radius (Bees Creek) so i don't believe weather or anything else is a factor, as mine is thriving still. moving and eating. in a well ventilated Viv out side my house, my bhp also eats rats about, which is why i doubt that yours eating a mouse wrong way around did any damage unless it was still kicking. ( mine is a yearling and can devour small fuzzy rats) always a good idea to get them onto rats asap

in regards to the bedding, I NEVER feed my snakes in their cages with pine bedding, if they ingest it its usually terminal, Much worse than any mouse/rat claw backwards.

got to admit, ive seen a lot of positive posts here to help RUmpig out.
Makes me happy to be a member of this site.

Sorry for your loss mate, not sure if any of my input will help

P.S inbox me might have to catch up for a few beers

Sean

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Rumpig,
tbh i haven't read every post, so i apologize if im rehashing a post already. IMHO if you buy rats/mice and they have blood on their nose, they have been defrosted, commercially accepted euthanized food is CO2 asphyxiated hence no hemorrhage.
I keep my BHP in pretty much the same environment as you have yours, Shredded pine, marketed for pets bedding. ive never had an issue.

for the record, i live in a 10 km radius (Bees Creek) so i don't believe weather or anything else is a factor, as mine is thriving still. moving and eating. in a well ventilated Viv out side my house, my bhp also eats rats about, which is why i doubt that yours eating a mouse wrong way around did any damage unless it was still kicking. ( mine is a yearling and can devour small fuzzy rats) always a good idea to get them onto rats asap

in regards to the bedding, I NEVER feed my snakes in their cages with pine bedding, if they ingest it its usually terminal, Much worse than any mouse/rat claw backwards.

got to admit, ive seen a lot of positive posts here to help RUmpig out.
Makes me happy to be a member of this site.

Sorry for your loss mate, not sure if any of my input will help

P.S inbox me might have to catch up for a few beers

Sean
I think that you are wrong about ingesting pine shaving being usually terminal. I have kept snakes for quite a while on pine shavings and had snakes ingest then without problem. The possible problems that may occur is too many shavings being swallowed and being unable to be digested may lead to impaction or the second issue can be that the pine shavings getting caught on the teeth of the python for an extended time and causing stomitis or mouth rot. I have had neither of these issues happen to me and they are not limited to pine shavings but can occur with any substrate that enters the mouth.

Last edited by a moderator:
Dude, im more worried about them perforating the stomach or throat on the way in, lets be honest, they dont flex on the way in do they?

- - - Updated - - -

your last post isnt helping rumpig, Andynic, its simply to run my opinion down, seriously?

I think you are thinking of wood chips and not shavings. I am not running your opinion down at all mate. I thought I was quite diplomatic in correcting the spread of misinformation which not only helps rumpig but also helps the whole community. If you took the time to read the entire post as I have in order to best help the op then you would see that I have tried helping rumpig with a few posts.

You're inferring i don't understand the difference between wood chips and pine shavings?

You're inferring i don't understand the difference between wood chips and pine shavings?

The pine shavings that I use and most use are so soft that they could not possibly cause a snakes oesophagus or stomach to tear if swallowed. I stand by my original statement . I am not trying to start an argument here so if you have evidence of this happening please post it and I will admit that it can happen but unlikely and if you don't maybe you should just let it go.

All i am stating as a fact, the pine shavings that ALL pet shops offer in Darwin & yes that is Darwin, not Marsden, the shavings are not uniform IE: none are soft and subtle some are as thick as wood chips.

Rumpig hasnt at any point said he even fed them in their enclosure, so techincally this discussion is moot.

imho all you really have added is quotes and told people how misinformed they are.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back