A close call....

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rossco84

Reaction score
Hello guys and gals,

A mate and I were out Bass fishing this afternoon when my mate nearly stepped right on top of this fella. Unluckily he got tagged but very lucky for him, was wearing knee high fishing gumboots. Things could've been alot worse considering this location has no mobile coverage and the EPIRB we carry with us would take about an hour or more for a rescue attempt far up in the thick scrub. Here is the only pic I managed before leaving the now cranky Adder alone :shock::shock:

Wow, lucky he was wearing his fishing boots. Looks like a chunky added, possibly gravid. What rough location was this?

Sent from my XT925 using Tapatalk

Wow, lucky he was wearing his fishing boots. Looks like a chunky added, possibly gravid. What rough location was this?

Sent from my XT925 using Tapatalk

Batemans Bay, N.S.W mate :)

Wow, brings me back to the days when my dad would take us out bush walking and always insist on us wearing leather hiking boots and thick socks for that very reason! Nice job getting a quick pic!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Close call, your mate is lucky! My old boy does a lot of surveys in the bush and on one trip he stepped on a copperhead. Thing turned and struck him, but what saved him from getting the full bite was his socks that had a zipper pocket in it.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Hey Rossco, glad to hear that your mate came away from the encounter unscathed, albeit with a scary experience! :shock:

Mr Acanthophis has a habit of pulling this stunt... One of my daughters had a very scary encounter one time with a Deathie in the backyard. She was 3 at the time. She thought it was a "bluetongue that didn't have any legs and needed help".

The only thing that saved her were the boots she was wearing... same as your mate. Her boots and jeans were swabbed at the hospital and were soaked in Death Adder venom, but she was untagged. I bought a leaf blower after the incident to help encounter any future potential 'landmines'.

Great to hear that in your mate's situation, all concerned came away from the incident unscathed :D

I think 000 works in any location (regardless of regular phone reception)? Can anyone confirm this

I think 000 works in any location (regardless of regular phone reception)? Can anyone confirm this

If there's no reception there's no reception - there's not enough power (output wattage / receiver sensitivity) to get a radio signal out. No it doesn't work. You *may* get 000 coverage on the fringes of normal reception, but that's it and certainly not something to rely on.

If 000 doesn't work you should always try 112. It works on a different frequency, has a much greater coverage, and uses less battery charge so your phone will last longer.

Nope myth, 000 will pick up any reception from any carrier, i.e. if you are with Optus and there is only Telstra service in the area the call will get through. some belive that if you dial some special number your mobile turns into a satellite phone however this too is false.

Don't rely on your phone in remote areas, a first aid kid is always a good idea.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back