Pygmy Monitor.

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Benjamin8290

Not so new Member
Reaction score
G'day everyone. I've recently been looking into getting a Pygmy Monitor and just have a couple questions. Firstly I'm curiouse about feeding, I read to feed them live inverts such as crickets & woodies. I also read you can feed them fish or mince aswell, is it healthy to feed them purely off mince and meat? How many crickets would an adult take in one sitting? I also read from over 4 care sheets that they do not require UV although that strikes me as odd so to clarify do they need UV? Cheers guys. Feel free to comment any advice and tips, it would be appreciated.

1 - feed them as much as they will eat
2 - yes fish and mice can be fed, preferably insects as a the core part of the diet
3 - I have kept monitors with and without uv, I have noticed differences and other times I have not. For someone new to monitors I would definitely encourage its use regardless of the extra cost

Cost isn't the issue :) I was just curiouse. So mince and meats cannot be fed as the main food source?

I wouldn't feed mince as the main source, there is not enough nutritional value in the meat alone.

On top of that the fat content of regular mince is usually too high for these guys and you could give them a nasty upset stomach.
But when people do add mince occasionally to the diet its usually to help conditioning or little ones and they will usually use turkey or roo mince because of its lower fat content and still add some vitamin/calcium dust.

Stick to inverts and the pinkies and maybe spoil them with a little meat here and there.

I'd feed them chopped up rats/mice/day old chickens etc... That way, they're getting whole prey items and the benefits of eating the organs, bones and fur etc as well... When chopping them up, do it while they're frozen, its less messy and gross that way....

I'd feed them chopped up rats/mice/day old chickens etc... That way, they're getting whole prey items and the benefits of eating the organs, bones and fur etc as well... When chopping them up, do it while they're frozen, its less messy and gross that way....

Agree with this 100%. When my Lacey was small, I used to chop up five or six adult mice at a time and just defrost what I needed.

It used to be thought that roo or turkey mince was alright as a meal supplement, especially the San Diego Zoo turkey mince concoction but even lean mince isn’t even close to whole prey.

Breeding your own Woodies/Crickets is a sure way to have pleanty of food, i have two Ridge tails. a 2 yr old male and a 18 month female, they will polish off a box of large crickets in a sitting, woodies are also good and easy to breed just keep them outside they stink! i feed my male a Fuzzy once a week and the female a pinky just to get that little bit extra. Monitors are especially great to watch feed as well.

Thanks guys! That's all the info I needed. I already have a cricket breeding setup for my tarantulas and scorpions so feeding crickets it is then. Thanks again everyone!

My monitors all eat 2-3 times a week.... They're lacies and Spencer's but I have always fed all of my monitors (ackies, gilleni, tristis lacies, spencers etc) on a similar roster with great results for all....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back