Coloured light bulbs??????

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

PappaSmurf

Reaction score
Brisbane, Queensland, Australia, Australia
Another question as yes i'm still learning.
I have a pretty good grasp on most lighting for enclosures. Eg; fluro, led, infra red etc; etc; but i am seeing a lot of pic's of enclosures with coloured light bulbs, you know "party lights"
What is the go with these?
Is there any benefit?
Do they work like infra red?
Just curious to know why people use them.

They're basically just the same as the red reptile globes without the price tag. Some people seem to like using red because they believe reptiles can't see red. Pretty sure this has been proven wrong but it is probably less invasive than a white light for providing heat at night

Also [MENTION=39485]PappaSmurf[/MENTION] infra red is not visible light and the light you see coming off a "IR" globe is actually just red light. "White" light is made up of all the colours of the visible spectrum and when we put a tinted lens in front of the light it filters the other colours letting our eyes only see the colour or colours that are not filtered. Reptile eyes are similar but very different to our eyes but still see colour and as Saximus has said once you filter some colours out the light is less invasive to us and the snake. Party lights are fine for producing heat with non invasive light but a lot only come in low wattages so therefore produce less heat. Another option if you wanted is wrap the glass in alfoil but do not wrap it all the way to the metal part and make sure the light is off before you touch it just in case.

In the old days the original guys also used to get high temp engine black paint and effectively create lightless heat emitters before these fancy CHEs came out

I am sure PappaSmurf would have some of that laying around.

In the old days the original guys also used to get high temp engine black paint and effectively create lightless heat emitters before these fancy CHEs came out

Your right except for the effectively bit. It was awful, stank like hell and after all that work painting the bulbs they would blow. Big waste of time and effort. I eventually found a company that sold lights that used coloured glass so you didn't get that white light ring from near the bayonet.

I am still very new to all this but what about the purple night light globes ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Purple is red and blue basically and if snakes don't see the full spectrum with blue or red , purple would also be the same but the big problem with party lights is at the base of the globe the glass is usually clear and this creates a white light halo which is aesthetically annoying. They also blow easily. I used a dimmer to lower the voltage slightly, could run several enclosure from the one set up, and the globes last much longer.

You won't get the same intense heat from a party globe so can be useless with lizards when trying to achieve a hot spot of 40c +

Yup, remember those days...or even wrapped the bulbs in foil as well.

You won't get the same intense heat from a party globe so can be useless with lizards when trying to achieve a hot spot of 40c +

I beg to differ, there are ways and means of getting the best from 40watt coloured globe. As a basking light its not going to work to well but it makes a great hot box but with the ceramics available now I wouldn't bother.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back