Breeding Garden Snails help please

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Narelle

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hi

I live in Brisbane and have my garden snails in an aquarium under the house.

It is a Queenslander so under the house isn't fully enclosed but does have wooden fencing style sides.

They only get filtered light but not direct sunlight. The temperatures vary from cool to warm sometimes. Not ever really high though.

The top of the aquarium is a one of those wooden hoods with snake wire on the back to prevent escapees and allow ventilation.

The substrate is soil which I keep moist. They have cuttlefish in there and places to hide like broken pots.

The thing is they never move. They sleep all day and night. They did move at first for a week or so and now they never move. They have been like that for a few months now. None have died. They just sit there attached to whatever.... They don't eat anything. They certainly are not breeding.

Can someone suggest what I need to change please?

Many thanks

Narelle

20131121_070849.jpg 20131121_070841.jpg

These photos were taken when I first got the snails.

Get a glass lid with a gap,or put glad wrap over the mesh to up the humidity, or spray em with water late afternoon. I'd guess by them going dormant, it's too dry. And if you can, either spraypaint three sides black, or use aquarium backing to cover em.

Last edited:
Get a glass lid with a gap,or put glad wrap over the mesh to up the humidity, or spray em with water late afternoon. I'd guess by them going dormant, it's too dry. And if you can, either spraypaint three sides black, or use aquarium backing to cover em.

Thank you so much I have glass lids for the aquarium which I can gap. I was worried they needed more ventilation. Shall up the humidity. Easy to do in Brisbane!

Cheers

Narelle

If there isn't enough moisture they will actually recede into their shells. The further in they go the more dehydrated they are.
Ideally what you need is 16-24c (bumping it to the top of the temp range every couple of months will stimulate breeding, at least in the native snails any ways), 60-80% humidity and a depth of at least twice their height for their substrate, then they can choose how much they want to bury themselves. Your substrate needs to be damp to wet throughout.
If you need to artificially heat them then heat them from the top as they will bury themselves if things get too hot or if they don't feel safe.

thank you fractal man. They were receded. I have made the changes as soon as I got home. I appreciate the advice very much.

thank you fractal man. They were receded. I have made the changes as soon as I got home. I appreciate the advice very much.

No problems, always glad to help.
I had a similar issue with my natives but have since fixed it. When they do breed you're likely to have a crap load of eggs. The more suitable your husbandry is I.e. Your humidity and temperature the faster they will hatch :)
Good luck! If you have more questions don't hesitate to ask.

I'm fairly new to breeding snails as well,but having observed snails for some time I'd agree with PythonLegs about the moisture level but don't block off too much ventilation as air flow is pretty important.
1 thing I read was they don't really like temps over 30c but I suppose that's hard to avoid in Brisvegas,is there a slightly cooler spot you could move them to?like the southeastern corner maybe? or under the centre of the house?or would they be cooler if you took them off the stand and put the tank straight on the dirt?

I'm fairly new to breeding snails as well,but having observed snails for some time I'd agree with PythonLegs about the moisture level but don't block off too much ventilation as air flow is pretty important.
1 thing I read was they don't really like temps over 30c but I suppose that's hard to avoid in Brisvegas,is there a slightly cooler spot you could move them to?like the southeastern corner maybe? or under the centre of the house?or would they be cooler if you took them off the stand and put the tank straight on the dirt?

You are likely to find that anything over 24 for long periods of time will cause heat stress and kill them. Even 30c is way too high IMO and anything over that will be even worse.

May I ask what you are breeding them for?

Northern bluey

- - - Updated - - -

I can get them to a suitable spot to keep temp right. fortunately there is a good area with lots of concrete. Stays nice and cool

Cheers!

This has been soooo helpful. Many thanks to everyone. :)

Last edited:
Here's my bluey, Alan. He's 2 years and 58cm.

uploadfromtaptalk1391595029823.jpg

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
100% success. Thank you everyone. Can't believe I didn't work this out myself, feel a bit daft, but anyway the end result is some very happy snails this morning! Cheers Narelle

uploadfromtaptalk1391646389841.jpguploadfromtaptalk1391646406479.jpguploadfromtaptalk1391646423443.jpguploadfromtaptalk1391646437192.jpg

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I breed snails for my blueys (and chooks) as well.

To get them going and for hatchies I use the big plastic tubs from Bunnings and cut the lids out and replace with flyscreen. Melt it on with a solder. They're a bit more portable that a glass tank.

I keep the soil quite damp but not soaking and each night I give them a spray at the same time as feeding them... lettuce, cucumber, oats. I keep them in the back room where it stays quite dark.

Put some worms in with them because they break down and eat all the left over bits of food and poo. Once a week give the sides a wipe down because they do make alot of waste!

Give them some upside down plastic plantc pots or something to go in during the day, and if you see them halfway down in the dirt or you can't find them they're probably laying eggs.

I've just moved and have yet to set up my outdoor pits but it's easier to maintain them outside. Less work!

If you want a break from them or going on holidays, or in winter when the blueys are brumating, just leave them in a dark spot and they'll go to sleep in their shells and then when you want to activate them again just wet them all down.

It sounds funny but if they didn't make so much mess they'd make good pets. They're quite friendly and seem to like a pat!

How long does it take for a snail to grow big?

Can take from 4 months to 2 years to fully mature. Easiest way to tell is when they grow a 'lip' and the shells opening. They won't grow any larger than that.

For anyone else's reference, it will take between 5-10 days after mating for eggs to be laid.
They can lay anywhere between 40-90 eggs.
Eggs generally hatch around the 18-21 day mark if conditions are perfect.

There are 1000's of threads on google (in Oz) and Youtube on this subject ... solar 17

Does anything eat slugs? Apart from ducks.. I grow some champion slugs over here in Perth, they seem to thrive in the heat and are active all summer even with no moisture on the ground (I have no retic) they produce an amazing amount of slime to glide around on. Seems they just need a drink of water, they eat the spilt chook food.They like to live in the bottom of these self watering pots.09_2013 010.jpg09_2013 008.jpgI have grown quite fond of them!

There are 1000's of threads on google (in Oz) and Youtube on this subject ... solar 17

true but until I read it here it is just gossip

- - - Updated - - -

Does anything eat slugs? Apart from ducks.. I grow some champion slugs over here in Perth, they seem to thrive in the heat and are active all summer even with no moisture on the ground (I have no retic) they produce an amazing amount of slime to glide around on. Seems they just need a drink of water, they eat the spilt chook food.They like to live in the bottom of these self watering pots.View attachment 305260View attachment 305256I have grown quite fond of them!

you are a sick girl,even a slug's mother doesn't like them

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back