Snakes and cane fields in Mackay, Qld

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kbh990

Reaction score
Hi,

In the property hunt and have seen the perfect home for our entire family and pets. It is a semi rural property in Mackay which however upon inspection noticed it backs onto a cane field. I have always been weary of living near them for concerns of rats and snakes but would like to hear people's actual opinions on whether I should be concerned or am I just being worried about nothing. We have two cattle dogs and my first thought was that they may keep snakes at bay from their constant moving around etc as I do know snakes prefer to be left alone but again having never lived near cane before would love to hear people's experiences.

there was a property in Sarina with great neighbours it has a dam and maybe a lake view no cane in sight its on the range

Oh better mention its a nudist retreat :D

Oh good as it such a great house that ticks every other box for us. A friend of mine lives a bit further out and she said many use snake repellents with much success. I am happy for them to do their thing while we do ours all in harmony hehe. Will have to educate kids on precautions and what to do if they do see any. First things first now as have to wait to see if our offer is accepted for the house :)

snake repellers do NOT work at all,even a little bit. They are a 100% placebo to nervous snake scared people and i and many other snakecatchers have come across plenty of snakes right near these false deterrent products. The truth is you really dont need them,having a snake come through your property does not mean suddenly someone is going to get bitten,this is much rarer than you think in Australia snakebite is not a significant health risk. If you see a snake take a photo and get to learn the different species,from observing them you will wonder what all the fuss is about.
Keep us updated on any snake sightings and good luck with the settlement on purchase of the property.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back