Julatten hatchling size and feeding

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Karnyge

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hey guys I picked up a Julatten hatchling on Monday supposedly hatched in December and has taken pinkies, most recent feed was last Wednesday according to the pet shop, I tried to feed tonight as he/she was showing signs of being hungry from what I've read, but showed no interest at all when I tried with a pinkie, I know it's early days so I'll just leave the pinkie in the container over night and see what happens, I noticed the length of him/her which was about 40cm definitely the length of the 7l stiema if not a little bit longer, does that sound right for a month old hatchy? I only have a photo of him/her curled up in the container I brought him home in looks a lot bigger in the photo though. The temps are 32-33 in the hot end and 22-24 in the cool, the room is airconditoned as it would get well over 30 in here without so maybe it's a bit dry.

uploadfromtaptalk1389881931775.jpguploadfromtaptalk1389881864512.jpg

Sent from my HTC_PN071 using Tapatalk

Hi, what are the signs of your snake being hungry and are you sure it is just not being defensive(strike position)? It is a bit hard to tell size from the photo but if it is the length of the 7 litre container then it may be a little older than one month. Was it being fed pinkie rats or mice? I think that by the looks it may be able to take slightly bigger food than a pinkie. Your temperatures sound fine and it may just need to settle in. When exactly did you get the snake and which Wednesday was it fed last ? This one just gone or last week?

Cheers
Andy

Hi mate, he seemed alert, and was perched half up on the toilet roll head down in the s position, he hasn't done that before and didn't really move from that position most of the day, hasn't been disturbed, last feed was Wednesday the 8th according to the guy I got it from and that was a pinkie mouse, and that's what he sold me to feed too, I'm not to concerned about him not feeding yet just the size of the food is my concern, I would say the pinkie I tried feeding was the same size as the snakes head if not slightly bigger, I am curious about the size and if it is in fact a b&w Julatten. Cheers

Last edited:
Thats a very open cage offering very little privacy, so it may be difficult for the snake to settle in. I would put a towel over one end to provide a secluded safe spot. You can go to Home - Rodent Farm for feeding recomendations. The snake looks like it could take hopper mice which are more developed than pink mice and so have better nutritional values. Pink mice are virtually water and so you should move to more developed food items asap.If you fill in your lacation it will allow people to provide more appropriate information.

Last edited by a moderator:
It looks like a Julatten but then again the only way to be 100% sure is to know the breeder and the lineage.
Pinky mice are quite small and I start them on fuzzy mice from the first feed. He should easily be able to take a larger meal.
How are you defrosting and heating up the mice? The best way is to defrost in warm water and then heat it to blood temp with warm water once defrosted. If there is still no interest shown then cut a slit through the skull and squeeze out a bit of brain matter for scent.
Is he flicking his tongue at the mouse? Does he actually strike it, wrap it and let go, or show no interest at all?
I definitely wouldn't be concerned yet as he may just be getting settled in and not ready to feed. Even a hatchy can go for a few months without a feed.

Thanks for the replies, I'm in nsw, South Sydney, I just followed one of the click clack guides it's only a 7l stiema, the photos make it look more open and bigger than it actually is, I placed the pinkie in some cold tap water for about 10 mins and then in some warm water for 2-3 mins, he showed no interest and just passed the pinky I was holding and was more interested in exploring my hand and arm, so I just put him back in his enclosure and left the pinky at the hot end for a few hours with the enclosure slightly covered and lights off he was back out exploring but didn't touch it, I'm not to fussed about him not eating just the food size didn't seem right to me after reading various things, and how old the snake actually is.

Just gave the shop a call where I got it, they said it has taken 5 feeds and he's pretty sure they were all fuzzies, but sold me pinkies.... Tried to get the breeders details too, seemed a bit reluctant and said the bosses were in over the weekend and to pop in to speak with them.. No record of when it last slough, rookie mistake on my behalf.

Last edited by a moderator:
I would say he is still trying to settle in. Leave him a few days or a week without disturbing him and try again. As Warwick suggested keep something over one end of the enclosure to give him a bit more security. Try him on fuzzies next and if he doesn't show any interest try giving him a bit of a nudge with the mouse to get him to strike. Some snakes are funny like that, they can be so docile that they need a push to get them to respond. :)

Try and feed him in his enclosure as it sounds like you put him in another tank to feed .

Sent from my GT-I9300T using Tapatalk

I kept him in his enclosure, that pic was when I brought him home, thanks senator, just got another call apparently it was recieved as a Julatten coastal... ? I was told it was a Julatten jungle, is there much difference in size etc?

Last edited:
I kept him in his enclosure, that pic was when I brought him home, thanks senator, just got another call apparently it was recieved as a Julatten coastal... ? I was told it was a Julatten jungle, is there much difference in size etc?

It's a jungle mate... Take in all that Wozza has said by food size and let him settle foe a week... I know u want it to feed and wana handle it but u will reap the rewards once u get it powering along in the food department... Just a little concern I have (a little off topic) but I think with pet shops in nsw now getting there hands on hatchies that this not feeding threads r going to be more common... Reason?... Well as we all know some hatchies do need settle in periods and a breeder getting mtiple feeds does not mean the snake will settle in a pet shop... IMO the pet shops should tKe it on and get them powering on before selling making new owners a better chance that there new loved pet has been a top feeder.... I can imagine we going to have problems with shops regarding fussy feeders.... Any opinions?

Will do mate thanks, I got another hide to put down the hot end, I've placed the thermometer under the paper beneath the hide, the temps are higher now under the hide around 35 I've dropped the thermostat so I get 32 - 34, I have a feeling this will affect the temps outside of the hide above the heat mat, I did see him in the new hide basking so all should be good.

Another shot from the pet shops, fb advertised as a black and white jungle, also told pure Julatten,
e3ygyta7.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back