Yay i got my roughie. Seeking help

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jacevy

Reaction score
I have a lovely little yearling roughie and I love her to bits. I picked her up and was told she was a trouble feeder. She only has a pinkie mouse once a fortnight. No worries I have plenty of time to get her feeding better.

After watching her for 3 days I have noticed some things I need help clarifying. Firstly she did a poo and it was just all bubbles. I googled and found that this was due to only urates being present because she doesn't eat much.
Secondly she yawns and rubs her mouth a lot. She only shed a week ago.
Thirdly I have barely seen her tongue flicker. Even when checking out her new enclosure she doesn't smell anything.

So all of this could be normal? Or it could indicate something. I would appreciate others opinions please.

I dunno about the yawning or tongue flicking but I remember reading that pinkies are mainly water so thats all she would be passing.

Firstly congratulations on your RSP and please post up some pictures when you get a chance. There are many reasons for a snake to yawn but usually a healthy snake will flick it's tongue. I have been told that is something you should check when buying a snake. I would say that the yawning and no tongue flicking combined with not eating very well would warrant a check up from a vet.

Ive read that pinkies are fully digestable because of their size/age along with bone softness etc...

Thanks guys.
I'll keep an eye on her today and see if she tongue flicks. I know I have seen her do it a couple of times but not often.

Also my Rsp which I have only just got (born December 2013) is eating pinkies. Are you sure it couldn't manage something bigger.

They said it would eat a fuzzy but if it did it wouldn't eat for a month. Eating pinkies it will eat weekly or fortnightly.

I think your breeder has told you some porkie pies, she'll probably handle an upsize meal just fine.

I'd organise a vet trip first, tbh..the lack of tongue flicking combined with rubbing and yawning would have me suspicious of an issue going on with her mouth..

I don't know why any Morelia aside from chondros would be eating pinky mice.

I would have thought hatchy RSP would be able to handle a fuzzy mouse roughly once a week.

A yearling having a pinkie mouse every two weeks sounds a bit strange.

A yearling RSP should be able to handle a fuzzy rat roughly once a week,mine does easily..

I'll take a photo of her and post it up. She is only tiny. Tiny because she is not eating.

That would be the best idea.
e9apasu6.jpg
etuduzat.jpg

This is my little one who eats pinkie rats.

Mine is all curled up asleep at the moment. She is snappy probably due to her hunger!!!
From those photos though mine isn't much smaller. How old is yours andynic07?

Smaller? Mine was born December 2013 so only a couple of months old.

Lol. Yeah mine is teeny.
Can I ask how quickly they can get a RI? I am now concerned that it is this. If I only got her on Sunday has it come from the breeder or me?

Ok. I just saw what could be a little bubble come from it's nose. It may be a little bit of skin but I think it was a bubble. The reptile vet near me I can't get in to until Monday. Looks like I'll have to try further away.

What happened to letting them settle for a week after bringing them home? Hovering over her enclosure looking for tongue flicking isn't going to help with the feeding problem.

Yeah I'd say it has it, the rubbing, yawning and lack of tongue flicking all point to it, if there's mucus especially.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back