Do pythons need a light?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jacevy

Reaction score
I know that monitors and lizards need the on / off of a light so ceramic heat emitters aren't good for them.
That about pythons?
I have bulbs blowing on me and although I always use bunnings purchased brands it is annoying.

I am considering changing to a CHE but I am worried that the lack of on off from a light will be a problem.

Pythons mainly just need heat, the light is just to make veiwing them easier. So as long as the tank is at temperature, with a good cool end it would be fine. My snake doesn't have a light, but she is near the window so she gets natural light. And maybe she wants to look out the window or something I dunno rofl xD But don't be putting them into a dark room, that would depress anyone.

I think either natural light or artificial light is required to provide the snake a day and night cycle as pythons are usually nocturnal they need to know when it is night time.

LED's are a great source of light without heat.

ah ok.
This is going to sound dumb.
I have LED lights in my enclosure. Could I just turn them on from say 7:00 until 7:00? As well as a CHE of course. Are CHE able to be coupled with a dimmer?
Even dumber question. What happens if I want a peak at my python at 9:00 and turn the LED on. Does that mess with their brains?

I usually have light and heat for only 12 hours a day and then start to reduce the time an hour a week coming up to winter until I get to 8 hours a day for brumation. Turning the light on will be fine a night , no different than shining a torch onto a wild snake or on coming under your patio lights at night.

jacevy..get an infrared light for night time veiwing your snakes cant see the light,then you can sit down all night and watch them, i have a couple of snakes in my room if i need the room light in the night they see it and retreat as soon as it goes off they come out again i dont like confusing them between night and day,so your best bet is infrared they will also give of heat so just take note of what wattage you are using compared to the size of your enclosure...any more questions just ask its the best way to learn...good luck...:D

I use self adhesive water proof LED strips , you can buy it rather cheap from ebay . I have cool white and red for night viewing in some enclosures . they are 12v dc and a simple adapter can run a few enclosures . I have 10 more meters and adapters on there way so I can finish off my other bank of enclosures .

heres a good example im using 4 90cm strips and the light is decent , in the 2nd pic u can see the strips in the reflection in the water .

chilling.jpgpond.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back