Prospective owner, DIY enclosure, carpet pythons, Many questions.

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

frostex

Reaction score
Ok, ive been wanting a Carpet python (for all the usual beginner friendly reasons) or two for a long time now but my sister has not wanted one while she lives here. She is now moving into her own place, so let the hobby begin!

Cost, space, time, effort are not factors. I have adequate of all 4, and am very patient (I will continue researching/building for the whole year if I have to before moving in new pets)

1. Based on my below criteria and fellow members extensive experience, which subspecies of Carpets would be best? I live in Melbourne, Vic if that helps.

2. Ideally I would like to keep two same breed and age pythons in the same large enclosure. Ive been doing lots of research and results have so far been positve about this. But please share your ideas.

3. Ideally larger would be better, Based on research i believe no carpets get too large / en-cumbersome for a single novice. Thoughts?

4. Hatchling or adult? I'm leaning towards hatchlings, so they can grow up sharing the tank together. How long do they take to grow full size? Does anybody have any good links about enclosure progression as they grow older and caring for young. So far im lead to believe this is a lot more work. (not a problem)

5. DIY 700L enclosure. I am a cabinet maker / carpenter so i will definitely be doing this myself. The perfect spot in my house which would be the ultimate showpiece wants a 700-750L enclosure there, but i have read multiple times about been careful with too big of a tank. I can modify it if neccassary, but im hoping i can make this work with appropriate hides, multiple heat sources and thermometers, and potentially a removable dividing wall or two.

6. Below is the external dimensions of the enclosure I wish to build. This is 794L, but taking into account the thickness of the material and underlay, i think internally will end up 700-750L. All suggestions are welcome of placements of heat pads, heat lamps, UV lamps, vents, humidifiers, thermometers. Glass top/solid top? hides, branches, water, etc etc. I can modify to suit, if required. Lots of room to go up (about another meter) if climbing would be better.

Please Aussie pythons, share your collective wisdom with me!

Last edited:
i think you better do some more research,and as a newbie 2 snakes in the one tank is generally the biggest no-no,even when you have experience its still a massive risk..i wont be the only one telling you that either..and i dont know where you are getting your positive results from either cos thats probably the last thing you want to do unless of course you only want to end up with one snake...so brace yourself buddy...good luck...keep reading and do more reading best way to learn..:D

As smileysnake says keeping two snakes in one enclosure is not something most people do, you can see videos on Youtube etc of keepers who do without incident but the risk is always there. Assuming you can keep both in Australia I would go for either an Irian Jaya or a Bredli and definately go for a youngster so you can watch it grow. Some might say your enclosure(beautiful as it is) might be a little to big for a youngster and you might devise a suitable way of partitioning it (this partition could then easily be removed when the animal grows). Its great that you are thinking about things and asking advice before taking the next step all to many people buy on an impulse with unfortunate consequences.

Kindest regards

Endeavour

If you're 100% on keeping two snakes together then diamond pythons would be the best choice and would be the best suited to Melbourne's weather too. If you get hatchies then you would need to keep them in smaller tubs for at least a year before moving them in together in such a large enclosure. Make sure you don't get two males either. Two females would be better if you don't intend on breeding them.
In saying that I still wouldn't house two snakes together. Have you thought about changing your design to be two enclosures instead of one?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back