Stimson's Questions

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Slothicorn

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone!

I have recently bought a Stimson's python hatchling from Dolittle Farm and I have had him for 4 days now. He is a beautiful little fulla and I can't wait to hold him! Steve said that he has to feed at least once before I can hold him so I'm looking forward to that!

Now, I have realized that I will need some advice, tips or help with owning a snake and it would be great to get help if anything bad or worrying happens to my little beauty!

Also, I am new to Aussie Pythons And Snakes so it would be good to get to know some fellow reptile lovers!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    71.6 KB · Views: 85
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 76
hi , just because you feed him doesn't mean you hold him straight away , although a feed sooths some of the possible agro its not the best thing to hold a snake straight after a feed . Give you little fella a few days to process his food , but you can hold him before he passes it as he will still be content with a full belly .
Having said that I do believe that they are the Labrador of the snake world ( or maybe a golden retriever -- but they are smart ) and just have a beautiful nature .

We just hatched 6 babies and only one came out of its egg angry but has since calmed with a few good feeds

You have a nice snake and it should be a calm happy snake

Good luck

Yes, I think I may leave maybe 1 or 2 days after his feed. I don't really mind if he bites me as I have been bitten before and hardly felt it! I just don't want him to be stressed. Do you think he would mind just crawling up my arm if I was really gentle? Like not even grabbing him, just acting like a tree?

- - - Updated - - -

Hey guys, I was just wondering if it's alright to hold a snake just after he has shed or on the same day as shedding. Also, do you have to feed him the day he sheds even if it is a few days off his schedule? Thanks.

Preferably don't hold it while it's full as they can regurgitate their food if scared so as they can flee quicker, or does that only apply to overseas snakes or is a old wives tale?

Do you think he would get stressed if I just let him crawl up my arm with no grabbing or anything like that involved? Because I will need to pick him up to get him out of the container he is currently living in and into his tank.

I reckon a few more air holes on the click clack couldn't hurt

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dude, some worrying comments here. I will impart what I have learnt from my Elliott:
1. Keep him in his click-clack for as long as possible...when he is too big for this one, get a bigger one. He will feel safer. Tanks are for around 9months plus.
2. He will appreciate you being slow in your movements, but Stimmy's aren't noted tree climbers - if he crawls up your arm he might fall off. Hands are better until he has more weight and size.
3. Let him come to you - open the click clack and hold your hands near it (wash them first). He will know you don't smell like food, and will explore.
4. Don't handle him until at least a day or more after a feed - let him digest a bit first.
5. He will be cranky before shedding, and possibly sensitive afterwards. Give him some space to feel normal again.
6. Don't stress too much about his feeding "schedule" - they will eat when they are hungry and won't be unduly stressed from leaving a bigger gap between feeds.

Most importantly, be patient - it will all come in good time.

My breeder Steve said that I can move him out of his click clack after he has fed once for me but it isn't a big change because his next tank is only about 30x30 square with only glass on the roof so there's plenty of privacy. My breeder also told me to put his poo into his tank before he gets in there so he knows the smell and isn't frightened of the new environment. Anyway, I keep him in the click clack inside the tank so he should be pretty calm when I move him in.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back