Cleaning Reptile Cage And Equipment?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

TheReptileCove

Reaction score
Hey all,

Just a couple of quick questions about cleaning.

Firstly how do you go about cleaning your reptiles vivarium/tub/tank or whatever you have it housed in? What sprays do people prefer to use? Repti-klean? F10?

Also, when purchasing second-hand or reusing old bowls, hides, branches etc what method do you use to make sure not to spread anything in your collection? As i have been doing a little research and have seen people doing all sorts from soaking in boiling water, freezing, even putting stuff in the oven?

Just after some general tips really.

Thanks

Harrison

F10 all the way. It's really not that expensive considering the dilution ratios.

I use F10 and find its suits me best. I also fill a 300 litre tub with bleach solution and drop everything in it to soak while i clean enclosures

I use water and white vinegar to clean out my enclosures and wash out bowls ect. Seems to do the trick and removes all smells and stains. Great for cleaning glass too.

Rick

I use water and white vinegar to clean out my enclosures and wash out bowls ect. Seems to do the trick and removes all smells and stains. Great for cleaning glass too.

Rick

Same :) vinegar is an excellent cleaning and disinfecting agent.... Cheap too :)
I also use a weak dilution of bleach for the cage furniture

Sent from my HTC Velocity 4G using Tapatalk

I like the vinegar idea,I use f10 but steer clear of bleach as the smell is too strong and takes ages to fade away

I only use very little bleach in water. Soak the cage furniture, bowl, hides ect. For about an hour then rinse it off then air dry, takes care of the smell :)

I use a steamer, it is awesome. I used to use vinegar prior to my awesome steamer.... It is one of my favorite toys(the steamer NOT the vinegar lol)

I like the vinegar idea,I use f10 but steer clear of bleach as the smell is too strong and takes ages to fade away

Try using A lower dilution ratio and also sit all items that have come in contact with the bleach in full sunlight for A while. As UV breaks down chlorine :D That is what I do sometimes.

I throw the bowls in the dishwasher, use repti-Klean & hot water for enclosure and hides, vines, branches and stuff.

Edit: I have been known to throw the bearded dragon veggie Bowles in the dishwasher on occasion, but usually hot water & repti-klean along with the snakes water bowls

Last edited:
I throw the bowls in the dishwasher, use repti-Klean & hot water for enclosure and hides, vines, branches and stuff.
we have been told not mix reptile stuff with human stuff including washing up equipment because of salmonella.
I have a separate brush & mop outside for water bowls etc.

we have been told not mix reptile stuff with human stuff including washing up equipment because of salmonella.
I have a separate brush & mop outside for water bowls etc.

I have a separate brush and sponge as well.
Edit: I have been known to throw the bearded dragon veggie Bowles in the dishwasher on occasion, but usually hot water & repti-klean along with the snakes water bowls.
Haven't had a problem as of yet but thank you.

Last edited:
What methods have you been using to clean your cages prior to ordering this f10

When i used to own reptiles i would use repti-klean but kept hearing about this F10.
Then when we had to move into a house where we weren't allowed pets so i had to get rid of my collection for a while.
I picked up a couple of pairs of carpets on Saturday which came with there own enclosures and equipment so didn't see any immediate need to clean.

Vinegar, as its made through bacterial action I dont hold much hope of it being a great sterilizer.

Vinegar, as its made through bacterial action I dont hold much hope of it being a great sterilizer.

It is a great sterilizing agent on its own. In conjunction with bleach its excellent :)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back