More sad animal news in the world!

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
So they butcher the girraffe with the public watching ,surely they could of sold it or something . Must have administration there in copenhagen like the NSW OEH that dont live in the real world.

In other news, scientists are one step closer to proving that a lions natural diet does not consist solely of tofu. :rolleyes:

In a less sarcastic note, its good to see that they didn't waste the animal and used it as an educational tool.

A lion's gotta eat, I don't like that they did it :( but If I had a $ for every time I have been called "cruel" for feeding rodents to Pythons I would be very rich.... To be honest I have no real basis for my distaste other than I think Giraffe's are cute, I am also not sure if they are endangered or not? I suppose if People found it "horrible" to watch, they could of walked/turned away.

Now that's just screwed...
Not feeding to the lions, jus they had no reason to kill it... What was the reason? Inbreeding? Couldn't they just have like desexed it?

Last edited:
Yeah because it's so much diffrent then feeding snakes rats. Oh wait giraffes are "cute" so it's not ok..

The reason they killed the giraffe is because they didn't want to get inbreeds yet Poland wanted it and the zoo was in Denmark

I wonder why they didn't accept any of the offers to buy him.

I'm gonna make the assumption that the zoo made their decision after taking all the options into consideration. I dont think they did it for kicks or for a public reaction but stranger things have happened.

A similar situation exists here in Australia but the local organization is called ARAZPA.

Even if Australian ARAZPA zoos can find a new home for an animal if the new owner in Australia isn't a member of ARAZPA then it's no go.

It sucks they couldnt find another suitable zoo to take him, it guess its just like dogs at a pound.

Glad they didnt waste the opportunity to dissect and study the animal before feeding its remains to carnivores.

Clearly they are doing alright in the girrafe breeding programs that they dont need to keep all animals, would of been nice to see it reintroduced into the wild though.

Rick

Just a bit more information, the Zoo in questions is a member of the European Association of Zoos and Aquaria (EAZA). Like ARAZPA, zoos that are members of this group can only sell animals to other member zoos. This is to maintain a certain level of quality and control of animals and their environment and to stop the illegal trade of exotic animals. Of all the other EAZA zoos, none were able to (or wanted to) take the animals due to the genetics of the individual animals being well represented within the EAZA zoos. It is simply a case of the welfare of the Giraffe population within these zoos taking priority of the individual. Sterilising the animal provides its own issues, with behavioral changes to the animals as well as having an animal taking up resources of other giraffes that provide a greater service to the zoo population.

People may find it sad that this happened, but the reality of the situation is that zoos aren't all just fluffy animals and warming fuzzy feelings. Zoo's provide a much more important service than that.

I hope that the people that find what happened at this zoo as disgusting don't ever visit a zoo or wildlife park, eat meat or use animal by products; as I believe that may be a bit hypocritical.

Mike

Why allow them to procreate in the first place if the result would heighten the chances of inbreeding?

Why allow them to procreate in the first place if the result would heighten the chances of inbreeding?

Same reason we breed rats for our snakes. The lions were hungry :lol:

What has the world come to when a a lion can't eat a giraffe. Everyone's gone a bit soft!!

I think I'm going to need my baby boy with me to be able to sleep for afew nights...

It was sad enough but The skinning and feeding him to lions is discusting and doing it in front of public is just horrid(in my opinion).
For some reason The buffolo and stuff they breed at like mogo zoo and that specifically for the purpose of feeding lions/tigers seems like nothing compared to this.

now that I think about it I've kind of gone of supporting zoos, with the larger animals(especially ones like lions,orcas ect) unless it's specifically to breed and protect them from extinction(eg rhinos)
i think they should just be left where they are ment to be. I know I prefer to see animals in their natural habitat than in captivity any day

Last edited:
It was killed humanely and I can understand their reasoning behind it. They also used it for educational purposes and didn't waste the meat. If they didn't feed the lions the giraffe meat they'd be eating something else that had been killed for it.
Personally I think it's a good outcome. There'd have been no fuss if it was a cow. They're obviously confident enough in their breeding programmes that they don't see the need to inbreed.

Just a bit more information, the Zoo in questions is a member of the European Association of Zoos and Aquaria (EAZA). Like ARAZPA, zoos that are members of this group can only sell animals to other member zoos. This is to maintain a certain level of quality and control of animals and their environment and to stop the illegal trade of exotic animals. Of all the other EAZA zoos, none were able to (or wanted to) take the animals due to the genetics of the individual animals being well represented within the EAZA zoos. It is simply a case of the welfare of the Giraffe population within these zoos taking priority of the individual. Sterilising the animal provides its own issues, with behavioral changes to the animals as well as having an animal taking up resources of other giraffes that provide a greater service to the zoo population.

People may find it sad that this happened, but the reality of the situation is that zoos aren't all just fluffy animals and warming fuzzy feelings. Zoo's provide a much more important service than that.

I hope that the people that find what happened at this zoo as disgusting don't ever visit a zoo or wildlife park, eat meat or use animal by products; as I believe that may be a bit hypocritical.

Mike

Im not saying i agree or disagree with the killing but this is actually incorrect.

Yorkshire wildlife park said that they could take him and they have a bachelor group of giraffes, which means no threat of inbreeding, and the space to take him. They are a EAZA certified zoo and have take a young male giraffe off Copenhagen before which is in their bachelor group currently.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back