More sad animal news in the world!

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The Lions got a feed and there is a few people upset, what's the problem? people go out and slaughter animals so we can have a nice steak for dinner.

It is unlikely the the giraffe was 'slaughtered in front of a crowd', the lion were fed with people watching as they probably do every other day. This time the fur was a different colour....

If you're offended by it you should watch the BBC (or Channel 4, I can't remember which one) interview with the Zoo's representative. It's very important to ensure that the animals kept in captivity are genetically diverse - otherwise there is essentially no point to having a breeding program. The zoo couldn't send the giraffe to other zoos that had applied because it would be taking up space that could be occupied by an animal that represented better genetic diversity.

The giraffe was dissected in front of a crowd and played an important educational role before it was then used as food for some of the other animals - I find this practice to be very reasonable and responsible; the animal was already dead so why waste any opportunity to educate or further use the animal? It would have been a waste to simply burn or bury it.

If recessive genetic disorders become prevalent in captive populations due to a decrease in genetic diversity among the animals utilised then they cannot be used to further increase wild populations of these giraffes. Why would you breed two more related animals because it's seen as 'nicer'? It is better for the population to have greater diversity, it's not about what's nice or nasty - this was entirely necessary.

I think I'm going to need my baby boy with me to be able to sleep for afew nights...

It was sad enough but The skinning and feeding him to lions is discusting and doing it in front of public is just horrid(in my opinion).
For some reason The buffolo and stuff they breed at like mogo zoo and that specifically for the purpose of feeding lions/tigers seems like nothing compared to this.

now that I think about it I've kind of gone of supporting zoos, with the larger animals(especially ones like lions,orcas ect) unless it's specifically to breed and protect them from extinction(eg rhinos)
i think they should just be left where they are ment to be. I know I prefer to see animals in their natural habitat than in captivity any day

Except in a zoo they can't be shot by poachers, and they raise public awareness.
Seeing animals in their natural habitat is great, but zoos are needed for the survival of many species, due to the greatest predator on the planet.

Except in a zoo they can't be shot by poachers, and they raise public awareness.
Seeing animals in their natural habitat is great, but zoos are needed for the survival of many species, due to the greatest predator on the planet.
I think your thinking of a sanctuary

So let me get this straight;

If I offered everyone on this site the opportunity to give me/sell their feeder rodents/insects and they didn't take me up on my generous offer, that would be an outrage too right?

I hope all those people thinking this is deplorable don't feed any of their pets animal products and are vegan. Otherwise I call hypocrite!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Most people have no idea of what happens to those beautiful thoroughbred racehorses (or for that matter most horses) at the end of their time or if they are no longer useful

Most go for pet meat if they haven't been given a lethal dose to put them down

It's reality children :(

The decision would have been at least respectable if they had not let the public see it done. In my opinion seeing it would be almost as bad as watching them release the giraffe directly into the lion enclosure.

The decision would have been at least respectable if they had not let the public see it done. In my opinion seeing it would be almost as bad as watching them release the giraffe directly into the lion enclosure.
I deffinetly agree with this.
this is what I have been thinking but I suck at wording.

if they had just killed him out the back where no one could see and stuff.

i think if they hadn't of made it into such a big deal and kept it to themselves there wouldn't be all this carry on!

Ignorance is bliss hey?!

I'm all for humans being accountable for our choices. My kids know where their food comes from, as well as the pet food we use, why not be aware of how the animals we cage are maintained? As was said before, if you really didn't want to watch you could have walked away!

I liken this to the people who visit the crocodile 'parks' in the NT/QLD the. Are appalled to learn that they are operating farms. Welcome to the real world!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I don't know that I'd have cared to watch, but then I apologize to the cute dead rats I feed my snake. What do people think lions eat? Lettuce? I turned my head last time I was at werribee open range when they fed the big cats some creatures hindquarters, but again, carnivores, they eat meat. I'm not sure what the problem is?
I think a one baby herbivore is just as cute as the next one.

Sent from my HTC Velocity 4G using Tapatalk

I don't know that I'd have cared to watch, but then I apologize to the cute dead rats I feed my snake. What do people think lions eat? Lettuce? I turned my head last time I was at werribee open range when they fed the big cats some creatures hindquarters, but again, carnivores, they eat meat. I'm not sure what the problem is?
I think a one baby herbivore is just as cute as the next one.

Sent from my HTC Velocity 4G using Tapatalk

I don't have any problem at all with carnivores eating, or any other natural behaviour of an animal. Today I bagged up kangaroo meat to be frozen for pet food(my job, in case that sounds odd)
Its just the idea of visitors being allowed to watch the zookeepers put down one of their (healthy) animals.

I think it's safe to say those outraged have little to no understanding of the important role genetic diversity plays in a healthy population.

I agree with why they culled the animal, but doing it in front of the public and cutting it up in front of them isn't on, not everyone is used to seeing stuff killed, let alone dissected, some mighten have wanted to watch but watched on out of shock/horror.

By the way I'm all for feeding of the animals pre-prepared meat or them hunting down live prey on docco's but not so keen to see the dissection process leading up to the feeding or real keen on watching them tear animals apart, am fine with blood and carving up meat, not so much the guts and other parts of the animal.

How dare they cut it up in front of the public.Now those people know that meat comes from supermarkets is a myth.
Bit like being told that santa doesn't exist.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back