Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

PythonLegs

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Should big monitors be available on a standard licence? Discuss.

Last edited by a moderator:
Definitely not and they aren't in NSW. I don't think it would be an overstatement to say Lacies are one of the most dangerous lizards in Aus but maybe that's just me being a pansy

Last edited:
That is the silly thing, in Queensland you can buy a lacie on a normal recreational license but if you want to keep more than two woma's or GTP's you need to upgrade your license.

In the UK u need no licence... Bit like the majority over here lol... So who's the fools ?? Got me stuffed ;)

Yeah Sax, stop being a panzy...no Lacies for you:)!

In total agreement, as should the big pythons (and elapids). However, my main concern is for the animals well-being, "why does my baby Lacie hide all the time" and "why wont it eat it's greens"???..WT (you know the rest).

KingSirloin's quote comes to mind: "I'd hate to be a snake, living in the time of humans".

Mm. I'm not specifically thinking of the danger element, althoughh..that too. More so the husbandry requirements required with a lace,panoptes, perentie, etc etc..I'd guess there wouldnt be too many captive monitors living in totally suitable conditions. Even the zoo specimens are often pretty poorly cared for..

My experience has been that Lacies (and other big monitors) are easily catered for if you have a basic understanding of monitor husbandry to begin with and therein lies the problem, the unpredictable human element. But the dangerous aspects should not be discounted, that's why many keepers feel experience should be gained with smaller species first before "upgrading" (or upsizing).

I agree, shouldn't be allowed the big ones until you have a bit of experience with the smaller ones.

You don't need a license for a human child and they are a lot harder to keep. We have too many restrictions as it is.

No I don't think large lizards should be kept on a basic, unrestricted license. I don't think large pythons should be either. There isn't all that much that can go wrong while handling a small reptile by yourself whereas while handling large reptile there is definitely a potential, especially if that person doesn't know what they are doing.

[MENTION=1912]junglepython2[/MENTION] I don't think there are all that many restrictions on our licenses, well excluding WA and Tas. Did you want to expand on your point?

Yeah, well..I can think of plenty of people who should never be allowed to breed ie. Mr + Mrs. Bieber, and BillyRay Cyrus..

So having an advanced license increases husbandry knowledge and capability over the poor recreational license holders? Any Muppet can jump through the appropriate hoops and pay the extra cash.

You don't need a license for a human child and they are a lot harder to keep. We have too many restrictions as it is.

And how many human children are ill kept & uncared for?
I would just like to see licensing throughout the country with the same restrictions for each state. The current system is just BS in my opinion.
Maybe a system similar to a driving licence where your ability needs to be tested/proved before stepping up to keep big lizards & elapids

So having an advanced license increases husbandry knowledge and capability over the poor recreational license holders? Any Muppet can jump through the appropriate hoops and pay the extra cash.

No but the extra money and depending on state, time required to get an advanced licence would LIMIT the amount of idiots owning a large reptile as their first.

No but the extra money and depending on state, time required to get an advanced licence would LIMIT the amount of idiots owning a large reptile as their first.

Other licensing problems need to be fixed up first, like the two Woma's/ GTP's in Qld, especially considering the upgrade for the license expires when your standard license expires, which for me is in a year.

In the end it ends up being more money out of our pockets, and more into the governments.

I'd suggest a minimum license duration before you can get certain species, say one or two years. That way, we aren't having to spend vast amounts of money, and newbies aren't jumping onto lacies or scrubbies.

Or maybe we should restrict human breeding

I can't argue with that!

No I don't think large lizards should be kept on a basic, unrestricted license. I don't think large pythons should be either. There isn't all that much that can go wrong while handling a small reptile by yourself whereas while handling large reptile there is definitely a potential, especially if that person doesn't know what they are doing.

@junglepython2 I don't think there are all that many restrictions on our licenses, well excluding WA and Tas. Did you want to expand on your point?

As others have said, obtaining an advanced or restricted or higher license doesn't necessarily mean you are a better keeper or more knowledgeable. It just means you have paid more and followed whatever procedure your state required. More restrictions just encourage people to keep animals off the books with no monitoring what so ever. There is too much cotton wool in society at the moment without adding more.

Don't think you will ever stop the cowboys, or the blackmarket. However, surely there can be more standardisation in licensing requirements in different states. There might have to be some differences in what can be kept on what licence, due to the geographic spread of each species. Maybe like a driving licence, limit what or how many in the first year.
Due to the nature of state governments, and their "empire-building", you will probably never see anything like this unfortunately.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back