DON'T let your beardie's hibernate then breed too young!

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
i buy all my veg at woolworths and buy bulk live insects off livefoods unlimited. i do breed insects but i keep to many insect eating reptiles and sometimes i run out and have to buy in bulk which is about every month or every second month i spend $150-$250 on insects every 1-2 months and about $30-$40 worth of salad every fortnight.

i make no money off what i breed. i bred for the experience and because i love beardies.

I don't think this is limited to just beardies, I have recently seen someone have a 4mth old gecko laying eggs! (Mind you the person that posted was not the person that intentionally bred her, she was gravid when purchased, and the person said to just put the male back in with her!)
i don't know why people do stuff like this.

I don't think this is limited to just beardies, I have recently seen someone have a 4mth old gecko laying eggs! (Mind you the person that posted was not the person that intentionally bred her, she was gravid when purchased, and the person said to just put the male back in with her!)
i don't know why people do stuff like this.

no of course it's not just beardies ,it happens with all animals unfortunately

Poor girl and little deformed buds, I was lucky with my Woma python, the breeder didn't like going off the recommended ages for Woma's, got told to wait longer than that for the animals own good, 18 months for males, 2 years for females.

Just a quick update. Took a bit to get her eating again, but the mealworms done their job and she's looking better now :)

20140213_183058.jpg20140213_183113.jpg

Hate to break it to them but unless you have the latest 'in the now' morphs, there is no profit to be made.
People don't take into account the feeding, cleaning, housing and heating costs involved.
Unless you grow your own salads and have colonies of insects and use solar panels for heating, you are lucky to break even when all is said and done.

How true, there is no profit in it after you incubate them, feed them, heat them etc. Its all about the enjoyment you get

I am very pleased to hear she has improved. The “signs of paralysis in one of her rear legs” are indicative that she was in a bad way. As explained by Geckodan, daily calcium supplementation can result in the opposite effect to what is desired. The continuous high level of calcium in the blood can be interpreted by the body as excess calcium and result in its excretion rather than storage. To circumvent this potential problem calcium supplements should be administered only three times per week.

Dandelions are an excellent source of calcium. By weight the leaves have more calcium than milk. Beardies usually love both the leaves and flowers. Bunnings had Dandelion plants for sale a while back. I have a heap of seed should be interested in growing your own and cannot access seed.

Well done on salvaging a mistreated animal destined to oblivion. You have done truly well!

Blue

I went to Bunnings a couple of weeks ago, and was told why would they sell a weed? :)

To circumvent this potential problem calcium supplements should be administered only three times per week

Thanks Blue. She was only on small daily doses short term in efforts to boost her up a little and get her eating again.
It seemed to have worked.
I have a garden (used to be lawn lol) filled with 'weeds' behind our shed, my daughter loves picking them for the lizards!

Her rear leg has also come good, had me worried for a bit. Just have to put condition on her and hope there's not a round 2!

Luckily, I have a fair amount of experience in beardies, I've just been out of the game for a fair while.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back