Varanus caudolineatus, anyone keep or have kept input.

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Illium

Reaction score
Hi,

Been reading up on these guys and from what iv found they have been observed in the wild to be more arboreal in nature than gilleni and inhabit almost the same type of environment yet NSW NPWS have deemed them to not be a climbing monitor on their COD.
Although Dr Danny Browns book (aus monitors in captivity) mentions the caudolineatus group now comprises of three species, so does that recent taxonomy mean gilleni is now a subspecies of V.caudolineatus or is this yet to be approved?

Just looking for experienced input on their behaviour and additional info.
Cheers,
Rob.

G'day Rob,

There are three recognised species in that group, with (from what I understand) a few more to go. The three recognsied species are V.caudolineatus, V.gilleni and V.bushi.All three species are in captivity.

I've never observed them in the wild but I would be surprised if their ecology wasn't very similar. Some WA herpers may be able to provide some more information - Jordan Vos, Henry Cook etc.

What you really need is to find out what they do in the wild. There is not a lot of ecological studies on arid and semi-arid zone lizards as far as I can ascertain. Eric Pianka (US) is by far the most prolific. Graham Thompson (UWA and Curtin) did a species specific study on V. caudolineatus. They concluded that the animals have a preference mulga utilising the dead standing trees or those with dead limbs as daytime and night retreats. They occasionally also utilise fallen timber. In rocky, they are known to occupy rock ledges with a preference for vertical cracks if available. They forage on the ground usually through the hottest part of the day. Frommy own experience they also on mulga limbs. So very clearly these animals are semi-arboreal.

To compare this with V. gilleni I would suggest that you check out the research results for it.

Blue

They are both very arboreal. As is bushi.
You'll find all three in similar habitat and in the same process.

I'd keep them exactly the same as gilleni except drier as where they are from is somewhat less humid. None the less basically the same.

There really isn't that much published info on these guys, im still finding out the hard way. Best to get advice from one of the breeders in WA with experience with them, there are a few around.

Although they are arboreal, they still love to dig, and usually sleep on the ground (or mine do anyway) although sometimes they will hide inside split logs etc. Make sure they do have a variety of suitable hiding places as they seem to get stressed if they cant hide.

They like to dig in sand type substrate, especially around shedding time, and also really appreciate variety in the enclosure, try to keep changing it around and adding different furniture and you'll be rewarded by inquisitive little lizards exploring every nook and cranny.

They arnt the easiest lizards to handle though , and be warned they are awesome at escaping.

Good luck.

- - - Updated - - -

Also as an after thought, don't forget the UV light, although some say it isn't needed, mine love it, spending as much time basking under the UV as they do under the basking light. I still use calcium supplements on their food as well, although im not sure if its necessary to do both.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back