Correcting bearded dragons semi-blindness

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

imalizard

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,
I was just after some insight on a health problem regarding my Central Bearded Dragon. It appears he's developed blindness. History nothing major as I was given him a couple years ago healthy as ever, has always been kept outdoors on a good diet. Outdoor pit is 5mx12m with a 10,000ltr pond on one side full of turtles as I take in unwanted turtles. 4 Blue tongue also share the pit.

Last summer the bearded dragon had full sight and would find and eat all food including salad and woodies. It wasn't until coming up from brumation that I started to notice lack of interest in eating woodies appeared, the excitement was still there which I'm guessing was due to still being able to hear. Somehow the outdoor reptiles came up after winter with mites but I quickly solved the issue. I'm wondering if the mites may have damaged the eye? The photos attached show a slight red through one eye when it first happened but is no longer there. The other photo in the pupil you can just see slight cloudiness appearing. Weight was always maintained as the pit is full of edible plants which I've witnessed the bearded dragon walk into a plant and then eat it if it tasted good. Although any form of woodies or salad left on the ground were ignored due to not being able to see.

I believe some sort of sight is still there as when a shadow is placed near the eye a reaction occurs. This issue has never seemed to bother the lizard as he continued to swim in the pond and maintain weight. Although I supplement him with feeding by placing the food item against the lip which is an indicator for him to open his mouth to eat. Just wondering if anyone has any knowledge on what may have happened and if this can be repaired.

Cheers,

Your best bet would be to take him to a reptile vet in your area mate.

Have you consulted with experienced Vets?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back