Cricket issues

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sam78s

Not so new Member
Reaction score
So, I'm feeling slightly ridiculous. I have two adorable beardies who are about 2 months old. I cannot, for the life of me, keep their crickets alive!

The tub I got on Friday was attacked by ants yesterday, so I had to rescue them and then today 80% were dead. The last lot overheated or there was too much moisture or something. Before that was ants again (different spot entirely).

I am getting grumpy. I gut load them and keep fresh pieces of carrot in the container. I've seen special cricket houses at the pet shop, should I bother? What's a foolproof way to keep crickets?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Try woodies. Much, much easier.
As for crickets, it might be easier to take them out of the tub and put them into a larger plastic container (one you get from a $2 shop) and see how you go with that.

keep them in a large well ventilated container, make sure the egg cartons dont get damp and provide them with heat.
Or switch to roaches, theyre so much easier,...

The problem you're having might be related to gut loading.

Gut loaded crickets typically have a life span of about a week.
Some places gut load them before purchase which is a real pain when you buy a couple hundred for breeding purposes and they die relatively swiftly.

Woodies are great if you breed them, and well worth it in the long run.

Thank you. I'll do a food run tomorrow and see if I can find any woodies. :). Do you still calcium dust them in the same way? What do they eat?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I dust mine with calcium and vitamins before feeding, plus feed them a varied diet.
Woodies will eat almost anything, but to breed them and keep them happy they need some moisture in their food. I use potatoes, carrots, pumpkin, kumara, etc.

Keep them in a/few 50L tubs to keep them going.

If you want to buy bulk and not waste your money then order some online. Live foods unlimited are pretty good. If you order tonight they should have something to you by wed/thurs.

i agree with illium woodies are great and live foods unlimited is really good. i got 1000 mixed from them and have not bought anymore for 6 months

So, I'm feeling slightly ridiculous. I have two adorable beardies who are about 2 months old. I cannot, for the life of me, keep their crickets alive!

The tub I got on Friday was attacked by ants yesterday, so I had to rescue them and then today 80% were dead. The last lot overheated or there was too much moisture or something. Before that was ants again (different spot entirely).

I am getting grumpy. I gut load them and keep fresh pieces of carrot in the container. I've seen special cricket houses at the pet shop, should I bother? What's a foolproof way to keep crickets?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Look up a book called The Complete Cricket Breeding Manual by Glenn Kvassay. I bought it and it is pretty good. I don't breed crickets yet but do breed woodies. I also bought his Woodie book for ideas. My woodies are breeding faster than rabbits lol.

I also feed my woodies all the above plus dry dog and cat food put through a blender. I mix this with Maize Meal and chick starter crumbs. A dash of dolomite plus gold fish flakes. One tub of breeders is producing thousands babies every two weeks at which time I screen them from the adults. The idea is to trigger the survival instinct and to keep breeding. I use this method with my composting and fishing worms. Works a treat

So I've started to buy my crickets from someone else, and he gives them to me in a lidded bucket with mesh on top, with a carrot and oats as food. The last lot stayed alive for a whole week, with maybe two dead ones at the bottom.

i clean out any dead ones every few days. Put a fresh slither of carrot in there, a pinch of wheat bix and some diced kale. They last ages

The problem you're having might be related to gut loading.

Gut loaded crickets typically have a life span of about a week.

But by definition, isn't a gut-loaded cricket just a well-fed one?

But by definition, isn't a gut-loaded cricket just a well-fed one?

Not sure about the life span but to my understanding, gut loading is just bulking them up with more nutrients for the reptile to absorb.

maybe my term is wrong but I mean loading them up with supplements, like in the little packs some crickets are sold with.
Some suppliers actually mention they do this on their website or packaging.

There is a big difference between the nutritional requirements of a feeder insect and the reptile you feed it to. Generally speaking "gut loading" prepares the insect to be consumed by your reptile so that its contents are most beneficial to said reptile. Any gut loaded insect should be fed out within 18-24 hrs to obtain maximum benefit for the reptile.

With the woodies is it difficult to feed them to the lizard because I keep thinking they're gonna get out and run everywhere if I try woodies for my beardy and jacky. It just seems difficult to me and I don't want to try them because as I said I think they will go everyehere

I keep my crickets in a bin that I bought from cheap as chips. works well by keeping them in and there easy to grab when its feeding time.

Hey Sam when I was breeding crickets I used old cricket or Chinese containers. These were clear and you were able to see some of the eggs on the sides of the containers! Once you provide female crickets with a lay box they will start laying straight away it's not that hard.

Try putting your woodies in the fridge for 20 minutes or so before feeding the lizard. It will slow them down or pinch off the head. They will still kick for a while to attract the attention of what you are feeding.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back