boydii not eating

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Archeress

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hi all. i am new here and wanted to ask this in the main arena so you clever clogs can help me out.

I bought 2 Hypsilurus boydiis on monday. They are 5 weeks and 7 weeks old. bought from a breeder close by me. His set ups are amazing and he had quite a few little ones. anyway he fed them a couple of small woodies each on monday and then they came home with me. Since then they are not interested in food.

tank is 2x2x3 (reptile one) to reflect thier small size. . I have kept it minimalist for now. I have the temp at around 28 to 30 and humidity at around 70% and after misting its around 85. i have a mist king on its way. I have water provided in a small dish and i note that they are drinking when i am spraying them twice a day. i have tried small woodies, very small crickets, chopped up wriggly earthworms, not working. tried with plastic tweezers also. nothing. the larger one has just shed his tail skin

Are they just settling in? is this normal?. any suggestions are most welcome.

i have had a beardie for 7 years and i recall he was a difficult eater when a juvi and would often go 2 weeks with nothing. now hes a large ol monster whos a joy to have.

cheers kelly. i can provide photos if you want.

I'm guessing they are still settling in and stressed..the major thing that stands out to me is the temp...28-30? That'd be room temp, wouldnt it? do they have u.v? Is there a basking spot? Hope we can help you quickly, boyds are susceptible to stress and can be difficult to get feeding again once they stop...

Last edited:
Maybe you food items are too small. They like something they can see. They have very big heads.

Hi..the temp rose during the day to 31 degrees. I dont have a basking spot because various info i have read is that they dont bask. I get a couple hours of sun poking in to one quarter of the tank in the mornings too. Averages at 29. should it be higher or lower?. i thought 28 was good.

The temps sound ok to me! Ambient temps over a basking spot is the way to go. You said the enclosure is minimal with cage furniture, maybe there isn't enough places for them to feel secure within their tank?? Just food for thought.

1662539_10152339504564416_1888155027_n.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Now 8 weeks old and 6 weeks old. 5 days now since they have eaten. drinking fine though.

- - - Updated - - -

i have added more plants and hiding places and provided a plant roof canopy for filtered light

Still not eating

7 week and 5 week old boydiis. Had them for 5 days. not eating at all.

offered by tongs small woodies and small crickets and also little wiggly earth worms. nothing

put them alive in bowl...nothing

28 to 31 degrees

70 to 90 % humidity. watering them twice a day. yes they are drinking.

ANY SUGGESTIONS...I AM WORRIED. :(

Hi..the temp rose during the day to 31 degrees. I dont have a basking spot because various info i have read is that they dont bask. I get a couple hours of sun poking in to one quarter of the tank in the mornings too. Averages at 29. should it be higher or lower?. i thought 28 was good.

Temps are fine,I guess...but be aware even though they dont bask, they still need UV, which wont penetrate the glass. A UV light will obviously up the temps a little too. Have you read through this-> http://www.aussiepythons.com/forum/...orest-dragon-information-thread-146921/page/2

yep read the main thread, cant find anything on them not eating. they have a tropical uv light and no basking spot. plenty of privacy and climbing trees. even a canopy of leaves i got from bunnings that i trimmed out a bit. they now have good filtered light.

Has their condition noticeable changed? Is it possible they're eating when you're not around?

Well they have gotten a bit bigger in 5 days. the older one has shed its tail. the woodies occasionally escape thier bowl. i am getting fluon..its ordered but hasnt arrived yet. i have seen the dragon in the bowl with woodies and he just looks at them then leaves.

Eh, I think it's too early to be concerned. They usually take at least a week to settle in, and adding stuff to the enclosure probably threw them out a bit too. I'd say keep an eye on them, but leave them alone as much as possible.

ok thanks for that..incidentally how long could they go without eating and should i add a reptile vitamin liquid to thier water i spray around. ?.

- - - Updated - - -

Well...6 woodies in a bowl overnight...now there are 5. I know they not getting out. So some little devil has been a sneaky one yes ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back