bredli python

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

viper-prototype

Reaction score
hi guys i have a few questions.....
i have a 4 year old bredli and im pretty shore its female i fed her one week ago and she has still not done a poo and also her eyes went blue for a while and then back to clear again also she has become very snappy i cant even open the lid to the enclosure with out her trying to strike and also when i picked her up some of her scales under her belly felt really rough.... this is my very first snake and i don't no what to do...

Leave her alone, she is in shed, by the sounds of it, she will shed any day now.

She hasn't pooed, because snakes hold it in while in shed. Don't worry, everything sounds normal from what you've said, they will even become snappy while in shed.

The best thing for her right now, is to be left alone.

Yep shes shedding. Don't touch her or you might damage the skin underneath. Once shes shed though you can handle her again

Yep shes shedding. Don't touch her or you might damage the skin underneath. Once shes shed though you can handle her again

That part is not true. It's simply a good idea not to disturb them in that state because they feel vulnerable and you will stress them out.

That part is not true. It's simply a good idea not to disturb them in that state because they feel vulnerable and you will stress them out.

I was under the impression that during the early stage of shedding that the skin is fragile and am sure I have read it in one of my books.

That would be the first I've ever heard of it and I don't know anyone who has caused damage by handling their animals during any stage of the shedding process. The most I can find from a quick Google is some anecdotal statements with no reference to real proof that it causes damage.

Last edited:
You may be right sax, I cannot find any scientific evidence and have a quick look in a couple of books that I have without luck but found this statement on the Snakeranch website "During this `opaque' or ‘blue’ condition, reptiles should not be handled or otherwise disturbed because the skin is particularly vulnerable to damage."

I was under the impression that in the opaque stage the oils r secreted from a gland by the eyes which is then forced under the skin to the tail .. Basically separating the snake of its skin ( lubrication as h might say) ... So I would take it that at this point it would not be good for the snake to slightly damage it at this point?... Correct me if I'm wrong cause this interests me

ok awesome thanks guys......this is my very first snake and i just wanted to make shore she is well looked after i have spent like $500 on doing up her enclosure since i brought her 4 weeks ago and im not finished buying stuff for her lol i really want to make shore she is well cared for i have been around snakes since i was 14 but never owned my own snake.....Thanks heaps everyone for your help it is greatly appreciated

What sort of stuff do you still need to buy? There are lots of creative people on here and reptile people are good at re-purposing items for use in enclosures. You might be able to get some ideas to save you some money

If you don't already have a book on care of pythons in captivity, I suggest you get one. And read it. OR at a minimum google a few caresheets. I'm not trying to criticise, but we get a lot of people asking about pooing and shedding, and 99/100 cases are people asking about the basics. Snakes shed regularly, once every 2-6 months is the norm but straying outside that doesn't nescessarily indicate a problem. When they shed, they go cloudy then clear up and will shed somewhere in the next fortnight. Any book/caresheet should tell you that.

... So I would take it that at this point it would not be good for the snake to slightly damage it at this point?...
The closest I've had to "damage" is a few scales looking rough after a shed. No colour differences, no cracked or missing scales, just a slightly wrinkly texture on the patch where the shed went bad that you only notice if you're looking for it. And it clears up in the following shed.

she shed today and pooped alot lol so im really stoked and she has gone back to been friendly again which is awesome thanks guys for all your advice.....also just wondering do bredli like to climb i did a bit of research and i think they do but was not to shore and does any one know what the biggest snake you could own in Australia legally??

You're a long way off keeping a scrub python. Just sayin'.

so what would be the second biggest snake you could own leagally in Australia preferably not the scrub python

- - - Updated - - -

so what would be the second biggest snake you could own legally in Australia preferably not the scrub python?

well i like things that are big...but i want to get another snake but i would like one that is very bright and colourful

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back