Photographing Hatchies

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
N

Norm

I`ll be taking some photos soon of this years hatchies to advertise them. After advice on the best method for getting a good shot that shows them off at their best. Last year I tried using our DSLR and my iphone but found it hard to show their pattern and colour as it looks in the flesh.
Cheers

I’m definitely no photographer but for getting as close as possible to their “true” colours, I personally like direct sunlight. Bright white LEDs are ok too but tend to look kind of blue to me. You can also play with the white balance and brightness settings in an image editing program. As long as you don’t go overboard, I don’t consider this “photoshopping”. It just brings them much closer to real life (and not just with snake photos). I find it especially helpful for iPhone pics.

Also, a trick I learnt from field herper friends is to place them in a hide then remove it at the last second before you want to take your snaps. It will result in them staying in the one place for a bit longer so you’re not trying to chase them and should result in less blurry images.

I'm pretty lazy with advertising pictures. But taking them outside will give you the best colour.

Last edited by a moderator:
That's an awesome shot Snowman! Still waiting to get good shots of my hatchy, too damn quick for me at the moment.

My babies where pretty good but I agree the photos don't do them justice
etujyde7.jpg

my4a3y2a.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I suppose it depends on the age and colours of the hatchies too. When they're quite young and theres not a lot of difference in the colours they can look a bit monotone for want of a better word.

I suppose it depends on the age and colours of the hatchies too. When they're quite young and theres not a lot of difference in the colours they can look a bit monotone for want of a better word.
We have to keep them for 3 months in WA so they start to colour up by the time we can sell them.

Agree with snowy and sax... outdoor shots mate. Full spectrum wavelength is the way to go. DSLRs are calibrated for "daylight" full spectrum.

Full sunlight can make a boring brown snake display its true beauty...

This is what he looks like under flash...

Even worse with stimmies

under flash

Daylight

Thanks for the help everyone, I might get DSLR out for go outside.

I bought one of them but they are massive

- - - Updated - - -

I tried something a lil different today I bought a cool fake wall, really does get the true colour but I need a new ADSL mine has scratches and wear on the lens which makes a lot of blurry patches on the photos
DSCF9088.jpgDSCF9073.jpgDSCF9064.jpg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back