undersized Adult Stimson Pythgon

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

stimsoni09

Not so new Member
Reaction score
I have a Stimson python had her since 2009
She will only eat regularly for a few months during part of the year normally from late December to early April.
She is in a tub as she stresses in her 1200 x 600 x 600 mm vivarium
Her temps are 33 hot end 25 cool end has hides in both hot and cool ends has breeders choice as substrate.
i only turn her temps down during July August September if she has refused 4 feeds during April June and they only go down to 28 hot end
She sheds about every 10 weeks.
she isn't handled more then needed for cleaning checking after sheds so about once every 2 weeks
Sometimes she will take adult mice some times rat of same size what she takes one week she sometimes refuses the next. :rolleyes:
I have tried every trick to get her to eat braining scenting with gecko, skink, chicken stock and scenting defrosted rats with live adult rats (bred own rats before local pet store started getting frozen in)
even tried feeding still warm freshly dead rats
Nothing works. I'm at wits end I feel bad seeing how small she is. Well short she always has good condition on her.
Any other ideas to her to eat for longer. And how often can she be fed when she is eating.
and will she catch up in size one she eats regularly for me.
Thanks.

IMG_20140219_140807.jpg IMG_20140220_160048.jpg water is at cool end

Honestly she doesn't look that small judging by the photo - I have a 4 year old male who is about the same size, he seems perfectly healthy and breeds like a rabbit. :lol:

yeah id be double checking that it isnt a male, as i have males that will only eat for a few months of the year. If you want to cover all bases i would be getting a faecal check done

yeah id be double checking that it isnt a male, as i have males that will only eat for a few months of the year. If you want to cover all bases i would be getting a faecal check done
I can't agree more... I have a male that used to feed only 2/3 months a yr on mice...refused rats but in the winter months turned to satan from hell...( he's calmed down now he got 2 girls to play with) BUT to get him up to a decent size and more consistent eating pattern he now only eats day old chicks... Loves them ... Taken 2 mice this yr only and they were scented with chick... If it def male it's not un normal behaviour but if ya not breeding then I don't c any reason to drop temps.... STIMIS know what time of the yr it is ;)

My male and female stimmi have both done the same thing and gone off food the male will take quail when all else fails have you thought if giving them ago?

Thanks for the replies
have though of quail but can't get them here took 2 years for pet store to get frozen rodents joys of living in the county
I will worm her/him? Was sexed by pilbara pythons before I got her but if males are smaller that makes sence and is a load off my mind will try to get her probed by someone who knows how to do it safely :)

I'm looking at your setup and thinking - I can't see a place to hide (I could be wrong with those dark coloured circles). My Elliott (15 months old) spends most of his time under a little rock shelf, so if he didn't have somewhere safe to be most of the day, I would assume he would get stressed too. He REALLY likes to be in a confined space where he can press himself against the walls - the top of the background just under the lid of his viv is a favourite cool spot.

That's about the only thing that stands out for me - if they feel safe and secure, they will eat. If they don't feel safe a secure, expect a nervous nellie.

I might be wrong and will happily defer to more experienced herpetologists.

I'm looking at your setup and thinking - I can't see a place to hide (I could be wrong with those dark coloured circles). My Elliott (15 months old) spends most of his time under a little rock shelf, so if he didn't have somewhere safe to be most of the day, I would assume he would get stressed too. He REALLY likes to be in a confined space where he can press himself against the walls - the top of the background just under the lid of his viv is a favourite cool spot.

That's about the only thing that stands out for me - if they feel safe and secure, they will eat. If they don't feel safe a secure, expect a nervous nellie.

I might be wrong and will happily defer to more experienced herpetologists.

If I read the first post right, those dark circles are both hides, one in the cool end and one in the warm :)

I find that my guy doesn't like food being dangled from the sky and finds it intimidating, so he refuses it and hides. He stalks it and strikes as a normal python would when I drag it along the ground at his level. Just something that works for mine, worth a shot?

Don't stress...The difference between my male and female is gigantic, I'll try get a photo tonight, Kid you not, similar lenght but my female is a solid 2-3 times thicker than him, he eats maybe 10 rats a year, he won't take any more. She however will nail a solid 20-30!

Yep the hides are the brown circle things they are round deli salad containers that have been painted with dark non toxic led lighting paint
I turn the heat down so the snake users less energy while not eating in winter she stays in the cool end at around 25*c in winter so it makes sense to allow her to cool
Would love to see pics of the difference between male and female

- - - Updated - - -

Tried dragging tapping on nose she seems to prefer it left outside her/his hide on the glass coaster. When it eats will normally take it within 15 minutes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back