Bearded dragon won't move or eat

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
heat lamps should be white like the sun,red lamps do nothing for beardies.
I know it seems like a lot but get rid of floor heat,swap your red lamp for a white one,buy a new 10UV lamp (preferably a long flouro tube)and you will see a marked improvement in your scaley friend

- - - Updated - - -

If the ambient temps are low, she might need to leave the bulb on, with either a thermostat or a timer (preferred option, as the bulbs last longer). The red globe is less intrusive than a white one when the beardie is trying to sleep.
sorry but red lamps will keep them awake while providing little heat,contrary to many peoples opinions beardies actually do see red light,if you need night time heat get a ceramic heat emitter (CHE) as this will provide heat but no light

Last edited:
True, the ceramic heat emitter is probably the best option if heat is needed over night.

True, the ceramic heat emitter is probably the best option if heat is needed over night.

Not just for at night. Red lights aren't recommended at all for bearded dragons. They need a white like for basking.

Not just for at night. Red lights aren't recommended at all for bearded dragons. They need a white like for basking.
That's what I was referring to, CHE's if heat was required overnight, as well as a basking globe to be used during the day.
Sorry guys, sometimes I don't explain myself properly. :)

That's what I was referring to, CHE's if heat was required overnight, as well as a basking globe to be used during the day.
Sorry guys, sometimes I don't explain myself properly. :)

Haha ok, gotcha :)

What is the ambient room temp where the bearded enclosure is during the night? Being Canada during winter I am guessing that the room is heated 24hrs a day 7 days a week?

If it is in the low twenty degrees Celsius (18-24) you may not require heat at night and will be able to replace the heat globe with a normal spot light (white light) for 12-14 hours of heat/light during the day.

If it gets down to single digits in Celsius or lower you should have a night time heat source that emits no light and turns on when the UVB and white (heat) spot light turns off.

Room temperature where she is kept is 18 to 19C during the night

thats fine to have no heat during the night.

There was a discussion a while ago where we debated minimum temps and concluded that anywhere below about 15c was when heat was required for beardies

Now she is basking in a temperature of 38C during the day and 20C at night but still will not eat a thing. I keep her hydrated. Last night she was making a coughing like noise. I've tried everything to get her to eat. I don't know how long she can go on without eating

Last edited:
a respritory infection wouldnt be a surprise considering how long shes been underheated for, i'd be getting her to the vet asap to get some antibiotics if shes at the stage where shes making noise,...its no longer worth keeping your fingers crossed and hoping for a miracle.

she wont eat if shes that sick.

I found out too late all the things I should have known about beardies. She was under a vets care and receiving antibiotics and I was feeding her with a syringe. She died today at 4:00pm Canadian time and I can't stop crying. It's winter here and the ground is frozen. I want to bury her but I don't know what to do

So sorry to hear that. Don't let it deter you from owning reptiles. Armed with your new found knowledge you will be better equipped ro look after them.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

So sorry for your loss, its always a sad to lose a friend.:(

I would put her in a container and place her in the freezer until the ground thaws.

Don't let this discourage you from keeping such rewarding creatures in the future:)

If your really upset, cremate her an put the ashes in the ocean.
She'll make her way back to home land eventually, where it's always warm.

Sorry for your loss,

For next time, go buy reputable book about the animal your PLANNING on keeping.
Read the whole thing start to finish then go get your animal because as you just found out you will get contradicting opinions.

Don't let this discourage you, just make sure you educate yourself properly so you don't put any other animals through unnecessary suffering.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back