Bredli enclosure from scratch :)

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

86JAP

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hey APS,

So I picked up all the timber and bits a pieces that I ordered from my local bunnings this afternoon. I am building a 1800lx600hx600d enclosure for my Bredli. She is only 12 months old at the moment but will definitely grow into it :D.

Also purchased a new router, dropsaw and circular saw for the project.

Anyway it will be built from untreated pine and sealed with cabothane satin clear, but I won't be using the typical sliding glass doors but more on that later.....

Heating the enclosure with a 100w CHE and adding LED strip lights for viewing, as this will be a display in my lounge room I don't want to use the usual globes.

Ok pictures...

The pile of materials.
DSC_0002.jpg

Floor, back and substrate dam.
DSC_0003.jpg

That's it for tonight, hopefully more tomorrow once I get my cordless drills back.

Ideas and opinions are always welcome.. :)

Thanks Sam.

Looking good so far - can't wait to see your progress :) Go get those drills!

86jap before you go too far you may want to consider turning enclosure on its end so 1800high,bredli love to climb so with this height it would suit him for the rest of his life...bredli are abhoreal...

As smileysnake said, they do like to climb.. but if you have enough branches in the enclosure (suspended parallel to the top maybe, and a few fixed against it diagonal from the floor?) then the snake can climb and the crisis has been adverted.

No need to tip the enclosure up the other way.

They are climbers (arborial) why build a horizontal enclosure thats NOT natural to the species show me "ONE" photo of a Bredli on the ground in the wild (Kings Canyon) and surrounds (NT) ppl build these enclosures to suit themselves not the snakes "NATURAL" habitat. solar 17

Wow... Chill out guys,

This is why I put this up on here, to get peoples opinions nothing is set in stone yet, I came up with these measurements from the care sheet I have that says they like to climb not that they are arboreal...

Now having read these replies has confirmed what I have been thinking all morning. I'm going to to redesign it and make it 900lx1200hx600d. Does that sound better [MENTION=3145]solar 17[/MENTION] and [MENTION=34043]smileysnake[/MENTION]?

Also the enclosure and was always going to have branches in it for her to climb on, she has several perches in her tub at the moment.

Cheers Sam

Last edited:
l have several Bredli and are all kept in floor to ceiling enclosures and they are relentless climbers and a couple are quite big 8-9kgs and lay 40+ eggs and personally l think keepers that have them in horizontal enclosures should consider the snakes "natural" choices instead of their own. solar 17

Thanks for the advice guys, @solar 17 I appreciate and thank you for your advice in helping me build the correct enclosure for my Bredli however I don't appreciate the assumption you have made that I have put what I want ahead of what my snake needs, to clear this up I based the horizontal enclosure on the advice given in the Dolittle Farms care sheet for Centralians which states that "they will appreciate a taller cage but this is not necessary provided they can get up off the enclosure floor". Im not limited with space or anything like that with the layout or size of the enclosure I only went off what I had read.

Ok now, I've re-done my plans again… This enclosure will now be 700Lx1800Hx600D! I have all my tools back now and will be starting to build this tonight, hopefully I can update this later tonight as well.
@solar 17, what heating do you use for your bredli's??

l use Habistat panels and they are great but with hindsight it would have been cheaper (to run) with a heated shelf/platform as the HABISTATS ARE 80W and you would probably get away with half that on a shelf/platform but the heat panels are great and have been faultless where they are great for greens where they (gtp's) cant have a shelf at least imo. solar 17.

I've seen those panels, they look to be a good bit of gear. I'm guessing your using them as ambient heat for the top end of the enclosure? Much like a CHE only more spread out?

Ok people, I started building just after my last post and finished up at about 8pm (just to keep the neighbours happy). I got a majority of the carcass done.

Floor, Back and substrate dam.
DSC_0004.jpgDSC_0005.jpg

One side done.
DSC_0006.jpgDSC_0007.jpg

Roof done
DSC_0009.jpgDSC_0008.jpg

Other side done.
DSC_0010.jpgDSC_0011.jpg

More to come tomorrow arvo.

Cheers Sam.

Last edited:
Panels throw out a basking spot about 7 inches down and also raise the ambient temperature, so it's a matter of wattage v.s enclosure size. And don't forget to chuck up some more pics. :D

Im planing on using a 100W CHE on a dimming thermostat with a shelf about 300mm below for basking. The CHE should do the job of raising the ambient temp as well, yes?

86jap.ah thats it mate looking nice now...and i use che in a 2.1m tall enclosure so does the ambient temps perfect.we are all here to help mate ive been on here almost 2 years now and im still learning new things about the wonderful creatures we love and yes im very jealous of that work space...and keep posting pics..good job mate

Yes it will. That is looking great, i hope she uses it well.
I also wish i had your workshop space. I could go sick in there.:lol:

Ditto! All my projects are done in the kitchen, usually on the dining table lol.
[MENTION=22560]86JAP[/MENTION] I really like what you've done so far, I look forward to seeing more progress pics :) Is the vertical space on the back wall for a vent or will you attach another piece of timber?

I too use the panels and have had no problems. I have probes top and bottom to monitor temps. Also, the thermo turns on the panel if it gets too cool and switches it off and a fan mounted in the roof on for really hot days

yhapa5un.jpg
su2ajyny.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

@Lawra, that hole is now filled in, the timber panels I had are only 600mm wide so hence need to add the extra piece. My "workshop" is just my garage has 1 single door on one side and a 1.5 wide door on the other. Not sure what the results would be if I tried to use a circ saw and a router on my dining table lol..

@MrThumper your enclosure is incredible!! Is it 2 separate or is there access through that centre wall?

No real updates tonight, ill upload more pics with todays and tomorrows progress tomorrow night once I get this door sorted!

I have a question relating to vents in vertical enclosures… where do people put them?? Im thinking (if I can explain it properly) vents on the bottom 200mm up diagonally opposite to the CHE on the roof, and the top end vents 200mm down from the roof but on the opposite side of the enclosure to the CHE, so both vents will be on the same side of the enclosure. Thoughts?????

Cheers Sam.

Thanks. Two seperate....pair of Bredli one side and coastal the other :)

Happily lived there for some time now :)

Implanted Since Oct 2012

Sam, i put my low vents on the warm side under the CHE & my high vent on the cool side. I find this gives good airflow & the temp gradiants are perfect. This is vertical & horizontal enclosures. [MENTION=17497]MrThumper[/MENTION], awesome setup, love your work.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back