2014 Victorian Herpetological Society Show - Royal Melbourne Showgrounds - Feb 22nd.

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It wasn't as good as last year, in my opinion. One disappointment was that i drove there to buy frozen rats like rhe past 3 years, but the lack of frozen rodent sellers this year, and the limit of 10 per customer they had was a downer.

Sent from my GT-I9300T using Tapatalk

Ah here we go again hey, another expo thread filled with individuals negative tid bits about the day. It's human nature I suppose, focus on the negatives. Just watch the news. Comes back to our basic built in emotions I guess, many more negative emotions (fear, sadness, anger) than positive (happiness)? I guess if your building the day up & looking forward to it for a year, how will it ever reach expectations?
100's of people working stalls, dozens & dozens of displays, 100s of animals, 100s of products & contacts to be made- but bugger it I saw 1 skew-whiff animal that ruined the efforts of everyone!! ???
I've said it before & I'll say it again, how about focusing on the positive for the greater good & not just having a selfish attitude towards your experience? More positive talk (with constructive feedback) can only encourage growth- more people will come & display, more sponsors, more people through the door, etc.

My personal opinion was that it was a success. I preferred the new hall & would encourage the organizers to go with it again. Great to see a few interstate breeders. The stage set up was much better & great to see a time table of the talks throughout the day. All in all, great work by the VHS & the many helpers of this event

Unless you get on the committee and have a go at helping to organise an event like this, you can take your negative opinions and put them where the sun doesn't ever get to see. Nothing makes me madder than when people wont get involved but sit back and take potshots at the organisers. Just be happy you have an expo to go to.

It wasn't as good as last year, in my opinion. One disappointment was that i drove there to buy frozen rats like rhe past 3 years, but the lack of frozen rodent sellers this year, and the limit of 10 per customer they had was a downer.

Sent from my GT-I9300T using Tapatalk
Unfortunately a lot of Rodent breeder have been knocked out by the heat so there is too much demand for the limited stock. It is unlikely that rodent breeders will cart tonnes of stock to the expo when they can sit at home and sell it hand over fist. We only go to expo to get the word out that there is online sales available with delivery to your door. Its amazing how many customers expect us to cart them to the expo so they dont have to spend all that time ordering on the net! We are receiving a lot more orders from Victoria for delivery to their door, as people realise a few minutes on the net organising reliable delivery,is easier than making numerous trips to get hold of unreliable supplies from all over the place.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nowhere- constructive criticism is a good thing & does help, I haven't seen any here yet.
Burnerism- it's people with an attitude like yours that holds this great hobby back. It's why Gavin & Greg's plan of a national herp body to represent us all hasn't got off the ground.
Look, my apologies for using your comment as an example, but I've seen this year after year- little almost irrelevant swipes wear down the 'doers' of this hobby & push them away. We need to pump these people up!

Last edited:
i reckon it was a great day there were heaps of different species lots of lacies and i got my first monitor a little baby ridge tailed. but i reckon there were a bit too many snakes that just my opinion.

Expos are about getting the hobby out there... not so much for people already in the hobby. From what I saw on the day with the number of "walk-ins" and the number of families with children there, then it was a great success and hopefully the same happens again next year.

Saw a few young-uns walking out with full set ups... a couple of blokes carrying large enclosures. Great for the hobby.
If the general public looked chuffed with it, who cares what reptile people think - they're never happy anyway.

Reptile people criticise expos - general public and the organisers are just happy they can make it happen.

I thought it was a great expo, this new hall is a lot better than last year and the expo this year was a lot better compared to last year. I did not find one of the animal's I was after (adult female jungle) there was a couple but apparently they weren't for sale :/

I walked out with a pair of levis, a pair of hypo thickies and a male rough scale python. I really enjoyed it this year and am looking forward to next year.
e9yga9u6.jpg
abu4yruz.jpg
u3e7u3ur.jpg
da8udu6y.jpg
juhujypu.jpg

It was my first reptile expo and I thought it was great, unfortunately I'm too poor to buy anything, but I saw lots that I wanted. :lol:

Unfortunately a lot of Rodent breeder have been knocked out by the heat so there is too much demand for the limited stock. It is unlikely that rodent breeders will cart tonnes of stock to the expo when they can sit at home and sell it hand over fist. We only go to expo to get the word out that there is online sales available with delivery to your door. Its amazing how many customers expect us to cart them to the expo so they dont have to spend all that time ordering on the net! We are receiving a lot more orders from Victoria for delivery to their door, as people realise a few minutes on the net organising reliable delivery,is easier than making numerous trips to get hold of unreliable supplies from all over the place.

I dont mind ordering online or even traveling to pick up an order, but from previous experiences living where I am. Most couriers do not deliver to my door in a timely manner. They deliver it to a depot 90 minutes away, which then transfers it to another company that delivers it, or it goes to Australia Post and gets delivered the next day and sits at the post office until they decide to phone up. Its Okay for hardware things, BUT for frozen goods it is no good.

I dont mind ordering online or even traveling to pick up an order, but from previous experiences living where I am. Most couriers do not deliver to my door in a timely manner. They deliver it to a depot 90 minutes away, which then transfers it to another company that delivers it, or it goes to Australia Post and gets delivered the next day and sits at the post office until they decide to phone up. Its Okay for hardware things, BUT for frozen goods it is no good.
Maybe you would be best to get it delivered to a friend who is not so far off the beaten track.

I didn't go because I was still getting over being sick [ food poisoning ] , but on the upside I saved some money that I would have spent there lol.

As stall holders we had a great all be long day (3am start) We sold quite a lot of critters and spoke to a lot of people some of which were after their first critter.
Congrats to the VHS for going to the effort in organizing the expo for ALL of us whom attended, both sellers and visitors alike for without this organization we would still have nothing in our state that promotes our hobby to all.

I've been to the past 4 expo's in Vic and found this to be the very best yet. Loved the variety of snakes and lizards on display and all of the products. Great to see some inverts out there to. I'm sure to have a stand next year. Great job to the promoters and organizers! Well done guys.

It was a fantastic day, couldnt fault it!! Met a few people in person that I've met on here, got a new coastal and patted a crocodile :) just patting the croc made it worth the drive :) even got hubby looking forward to next year!! That's quite the achievement !!

We have a private breeder stall so please come say hi. Ive seen the layout and its going to be huge. Hopefully it will be the biggest one yet.

Some species I'll have include :- High quality B&G Jungles, Coastals, Reduced patterened Cape Yorks, A few breeding pairs of Blonde Spotteds and much more.

Tell your friends, it's going to be an awesome day. ;)

Cheers, Dan
What stall did you have Dan?

The one on the corner with my girlfriend at the front with an awesome Murry Darling around her neck. Up from the bus. Was a great day and was great to meet a few people from here. ;)
I wish we had more of these. Can't wait for next year.

Last edited:
OmGOSH [MENTION=3008]turtle[/MENTION] did you sell her? If you didn't pm me please? I want her!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back