Bredli enclosure from scratch :)

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I too use the panels and have had no problems. I have probes top and bottom to monitor temps. Also, the thermo turns on the panel if it gets too cool and switches it off and a fan mounted in the roof on for really hot days

yhapa5un.jpg
su2ajyny.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

wow that amazing i wish i hade the room for something like this

Update time…. :)

I got quite a bit done this weekend, happy with it so far.

Door trim attached.
DSC_0013.jpg DSC_0012.jpg

Door frame.
DSC_0014.jpg

Stand/base with some strategic product placement :p
DSC_0018.jpg DSC_0017.jpg

Door frame with @Virides black Morelia handles and the door lock.
DSC_0019.jpg DSC_0020.jpg

Basking shelf and hide, I'm still debating if I should put a removable front on the hide or not, the 2nd pic shows the open end.
DSC_0021.jpg DSC_0023.jpg

These last few are of my girl sussing out her new home.
DSC_0024.jpg DSC_0026.jpg DSC_0027.jpg

Everything is sanded ready for sealing but I'm waiting on a few things to turn up, lighting and the CHE before I seal it as there are more holes to be drilled. I will be ordering the glass hopefully tuesday or wednesday arvo, unfortunately it is going to take upto 10 days for the glass to arrive as I'm planning on getting safety glass because it is quite a large piece.

In the mean time I'm on the hunt for some branches to decorate this thing. What are peoples thought on using natural Gum branches? Obviously I will need to dry them out for a while before use but anything else?

Cheers Sam.

[MENTION=22560]86JAP[/MENTION] This is looking really good mate. can't wait to see the finished result.

Few questions Though

Do you remember what the board from bunnings is called ? and is it stainable ?

Very impressive mate bet you are well pleased with the way it is going.

Kindest regards

Endeavour

Thanks guys.

[MENTION=39184]AussieBen[/MENTION] they are 1800x600x18mm clear laminated pine panels $33.50 ea. Pretty sure they are sustainable as they are made from heaps of offcuts glued together and cut to size, they are made in Chile.

Sam.

Last edited:
That looks great I've got an aviary that we need to build today for my male and female 3yr old bredli

Just my 2 cents....I went with clear Perspex over glass. Was cheaper, lighter and no worry bout it breaking :)

Implanted Since Oct 2012

[MENTION=39184]AussieBen[/MENTION], I just re-read your question and yes they are STAINABLE lol, I read it as sustainable and assumed you meant if the timber was from a renewable source..
[MENTION=17497]MrThumper[/MENTION], I've considered perspex, where did you get yours from? I have read that it is not as clear as glass and discolours over time.

I got the door on this afternoon and moved the handles to line up with the lock a bit better. Nothing more to do until I get the items I have ordered, although I might stain the door frame tomorrow arvo ready for the glass.

DSC_0002.jpg DSC_0001.jpg

Cheers Sam.

I just googled for a Perspex cut to size place locally. That large one I posted pics of has Acrylic doors. Just as clear and it's not in direct sunlight so no probs here.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

@AussieBen, I just re-read your question and yes they are STAINABLE lol, I read it as sustainable and assumed you meant if the timber was from a renewable source..
@MrThumper, I've considered perspex, where did you get yours from? I have read that it is not as clear as glass and discolours over time.

I got the door on this afternoon and moved the handles to line up with the lock a bit better. Nothing more to do until I get the items I have ordered, although I might stain the door frame tomorrow arvo ready for the glass.

View attachment 306123 View attachment 306122

Cheers Sam.

Ha Ha, no problem, I was a bit confused when you came back with that reply, But all good. I have seen that stuff in Bunnings, but was never sure about it. now i know. Keep up the good work, it's looking awesome.

Thanks, I can't take credit for the sliding door though, the idea was borrowed from another member [MENTION=16446]KingSirloin[/MENTION]

Hey guys,

No photos this time, I have been busy this last week staining and sanding and filling holes and more sanding and more staining lol, enclosure is ready for the 2nd coat, the door and stand are done with 3 coats.
Im picking up the glass for the door tomorrow so will be gluing that in tomorrow arvo.

Got the glass this morning and popped it in this afternoon. Will leave it for a few days before I flip it over to trim the excess glue. Second photo is of the stuff I used to stick the glass in, it is a silicone adhesive so it seals and glues that glass in place.

DSC_0030.jpg DSC_0031.jpg

Also had a few things turn up last week, my LED strip lighting and CHE. Still waiting on the power source for the LEDs and the ES fitting and cage for the heat source. The LEDs are a 5m strip cuttable every 3 LEDs, I opted for the warm white as it is closer to natural light then cool/bright white, I may even add a dimmer yet depending on how bright they end up.

DSC_0012.jpg

Also got a second coat of varnish on the enclosure… Getting close :D

Sam.

UPDATES!!

Hey guys,

Been a little while since I updated this, lots of little things been done but its all but finished!!!

Got a large gum tree branch the other day and cut it all to size.
DSC_0032.jpg DSC_0034.jpg DSC_0036.jpg

And the almost finished product, I'm still trying to source some artificial plants to pretty it up bit and so I can remove some of the hides. As you can see I did away with the sliding door in the end, unfortunately the timber I got from bunnings and used for the frame was warped. I was hoping that laying it on a flat hard surface and glueing the heavy piece of glass in would fix this problem but it didn't, as the frame was warped it meant the runners would not work properly so they were ditched in favour of 4x70mm butt hinges. (the piece of pine at the bottom is just temporary until she grows a bit bigger lol she can't quite reach)

DSC_0050.jpg DSC_0051.jpg DSC_0052.jpg DSC_0053.jpg DSC_0055.jpg

Just some pics of my girl exploring..

DSC_0049.jpg DSC_0043.jpg DSC_0040.jpg DSC_0054.jpg

Cheers Sam.

Thanks, It was only for the fact that the runners would not work properly with the warped door frame and it was easier and more cost effective to swing it rather then re-make, re-stain and re-fit the glass to a new frame.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back