Carpet Python shopping list advice?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Classabear

Banned
Reaction score
Hey guys!! On Saturday, i'll be getting all the stuff I need for my 2 month old Carpet python i'll be getting in a couple of weeks.

I'm going to be storing him in a 10L Sistema click clack, and need some product advice from you guys on what brands/sizes of things I should get.

Are there any specific brands I should steer clear from? (Whether it be heatmats or something else) and are there any you can recommend for me? This is my first snake, so any set up advice is also welcome :) No price range, either.

Thanks in advance :p

- - - Updated - - -

Another thing, what size and watt heat mat should I be getting for a little click clack like that?

I used a 5w reptile one heat mat with a 7l stiema, which some would say is not sufficient, I achieved and maintained correct temps. I've since moved on to heat cord, as it better suits my needs. You will need a good thermostat, habistat and microclimate are reputable brands, and I use a digital dual probe thermometer to monitor the temps at the hot and cold ends.

You will also need a couple of hides one for the hot and one for the cool end some people use toilet paper rolls etc just make sure it's snug as it helps making them feel secure,I used some trellis from bunnings too, something for the hatchy to climb on, make sure there is no sharp jags, and a container of some sort for water, substrate I use both news paper and paper towel, I prefer paper towel as it absorbs a bit better.

I'm by no means an expert, but have done a lot of reading and listened to others on here. Good luck mate.

I used a 5w reptile one heat mat with a 7l stiema, which some would say is not sufficient, I achieved and maintained correct temps. I've since moved on to heat cord, as it better suits my needs. You will need a good thermostat, habistat and microclimate are reputable brands, and I use a digital dual probe thermometer to monitor the temps at the hot and cold ends.

You will also need a couple of hides one for the hot and one for the cool end some people use toilet paper rolls etc just make sure it's snug as it helps making them feel secure,I used some trellis from bunnings too, something for the hatchy to climb on, make sure there is no sharp jags, and a container of some sort for water, substrate I use both news paper and paper towel, I prefer paper towel as it absorbs a bit better.

I'm by no means an expert, but have done a lot of reading and listened to others on here. Good luck mate.

Thanks for all that info :) I have reptile water purifier aswell. Is it really needed when using tap water? I've heard a lot of people say tap water is fine, but others say it's horrible, especially for the young ones.

Tap water is fine for humans and for snakes. You'll have plenty of things to spend money on without paying for water purifier.

Happy shopping.

The only thing I'd worry about using tap water with is fish. Can't see it doing any damage to anything else.

All of what Karnyge has said I agree with.

I have just welcomed my little one into his click-clack today as a rundown, here is what I have for my setup:

-sistema 7l click-clack with soldered holed punched throughout (i even put black stationary contact on the sides to black out 3 of the 4 faces of the tub which some say makes them feel a little more secure)
-15w heat cord with habistat ("on/off") thermostat
-floor tile placed on top of heat source for more even temps
-digital LCD thermometer most importantly placed on the 'hot' end of the click-clack ($6 off ebay)
-paper towel for substrate
-water bowl (i used a sealed ceramic flower pot base)
-plastic fence trellis
-2x dowel 'perches' (i believe there's a sticky thread in DIY showing a good example of this)
-heat gun (optional, but i have found mine useful if you have thermometers but i got mine for $45 off ebay, seems pretty good)
-1x false rock reptile hide + 2x toilet rolls with one end covered in both hot + cool end of click-clack

other stuff:
-purell hand sanitizer to use before and after handling
-F10 vetinary disinfectant & spray bottle

excuse me if i've forgotten something completely obvious off the list but i'm pretty sure that covers most of what I purchased to get me going. Good luck!

I have most of this stuff around the house, already, so it's nice saving some money :) Thanks!
Also, with thermometers, I know that the dial ones are crap (I use them for my gecko, and they are hard to read), but would a digital one be alright without the probe?
View attachment 306291
This is the one I was looking into getting.. just want to be sure I'm getting correct readings, and in case anyone has had a problem with them. I have a thermostat on it's way already, aswell.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back