Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Most breeders will hold a snake for a few weeks. Payment plan people fail at life.
Not always but I c yur point... I won't be offering plans... U want u pay SIMPLE...

I'm with rams. I don't bother with deposits, most of the time you can tell if someone is genuine and wanting to purchase the animal and take their word to hold it.

No-two! i thought you must have been dead! you just been hiding here the whole time?

After over 30 years of breeding and selling to the public I have seen it all, specially in the last 10 years. There were a few tyre kickers in the old days but now it seems a national sport and they drive you nuts. Photo collectors are another nuisance group that seem to have emerged in the last 10 years as well. So to try and compensate these are my rules for buyers
1) I will place a pic with my adds of an average specimen of each species I sell. Will not send further pics, but buyers are welcome to come to my house and pick the ones they want
2) I will not except deposits or hold reptiles for anyone anymore(unless a close friend) Been burnt to many times. It is now first through the door with the money gets the animal
3) If I freight interstate will not even apply for a permit(which costs $30ea) till paid in full. In the past I have applied for hundreds of permits only to never here from the buyer again
4) My only garentee is that my animals are eating and healthy at time of sale. Once the animal has left my dwelling its the buyers responsibility. I have had hundreds of animals die on trips from my house to their new homes. Left in car on hot day while having lunch or shopping. Left on dash in the sun, or placed over the exhaust pipe. Don't you know reptiles love high heat. Little Johnny sat on it, Little Johnny squeezed it to death, or broke its back while handling it. You name it its happened to me and they try to get a replacement. No Way.

If you sell reptiles often enough you get wise pretty quickly to tyre kickers and time wasters. If I get so much of a hint from a buyer they are going to be painful I don't deal with them further, simple.

I've never bred anything or planned to breed anything. Except just lately I've got common tigers through a bit of accidental enclosure sharing at the wrong time of year :lol: That said I've given most away and will keep the rest until they die of old age. I just can't deal with people at times :p

yeah i prefer to give things away or swap between mates to avoid being one of those big breeders/sellers! id prefer mates that like me not ones that just want a good deal but what ever floats your boat i guess

- - - Updated - - -

are your tigers good ones moose?

I must have been lucky, I've sold 55 Pygmy Beardies and two womas this year and only had one person mess me around a little. The person that messed me around wasn't a big deal either as at that stage I had a waiting list, just lucky I guess.

If someone can commit to a payment plan. Say $100 a week. Then why don't they just save the $100 per week and pay in full. I've never understood it.

Well, some people (like myself) don't save up money beforehand because we don't have a reason to. We then see a snake we really want and know that we can pay for it at a reasonable rate; we just don't have the money up front. So, we go into a payment plan and pay it off at proposed rate without any problems.

Also, I don't fail at life; like you believe people who use payment plans do. I just don't have a reason - prior to finding the ideal snake - to save up for no reason. I know other people save up just in case they need the money, but not everyone does that.

Back to the OP; if it is only concerning a couple snakes then I can see why tyre kickers can be beyond annoying. Though if you are a reasonably sized breeder then it - unfortunately - just becomes part of the lifestyle.

I don't fail at life either, my wife and I just budget heavily and stick to it alot, avoid spending what we don't have yet/spending on stuff we know we can't afford, we have a mortgage to stick to and the usual $10k or so in yearly bills of rates etc to save for and pay off each year out of only about $46k yearly between us after tax.

So can't afford to fork out a couple of hundred here and there on pets and other stuff we want but don't need.

Actually if I don't have enough up front for things but know I'll keep spending the money on other small things if I tried to save it I'd rather use a payment plan and pay what I can than use a credit card or loans regularly and get in debt and deeper and deeper in debt, atleast you're only using what you have available, not spending money you don't have/can't repay like so many people do these days.

My wife is the good long term saver, I save short term for a goal fine but no good long term unless it's a big ongoing project and the bits I'm saving are getting used regularly to do work on it ie a vehicle that needs work to use to get around on.

But off that certain view and back onto topic, despite knowing some do payment plans now I would still try to save for a pet and pay upfront rather than payment plan it, never have had that option before and have paid upfront after saving up extra money from a few of my hobbies over several/many months.

And again I don't like tyre kickers as much as any of you do, have had plenty when trying to sell stuff through my hobbies and that is just small amounts I'm asking like $10-$15 and still get people trying to barter me down and stuff me around a heap, let alone how many you guys have had after putting so much effort into breeding and raising the buds you put up for sale.

Well, some people (like myself) don't save up money beforehand because we don't have a reason to. We then see a snake we really want and know that we can pay for it at a reasonable rate; we just don't have the money up front. So, we go into a payment plan and pay it off at proposed rate without any problems.

Also, I don't fail at life; like you believe people who use payment plans do. I just don't have a reason - prior to finding the ideal snake - to save up for no reason. I know other people save up just in case they need the money, but not everyone does that.

Back to the OP; if it is only concerning a couple snakes then I can see why tyre kickers can be beyond annoying. Though if you are a reasonably sized breeder then it - unfortunately - just becomes part of the lifestyle.

To me living without substantial savings and not being ahead in mortgage repayments is failing. Just how I live and how I see things, I'd rather be prepared for a rainy day and live being able to buy what I want when I want. Each to their own...

^ you are very your way or the highway though I've noticed (which is usually me haha)

Only bought 2 animals, couldn't have had a better experience for first experiences with Tyrons BHP's
The only thing I would do differently is like to inspect in the flesh before purchasing (when paying for good product I think this is fair) however for a lot of breeders that have nice collections and usually have the collection at home, you can understand the reservations about being invited home. I was driving 3 hours ish to get there to pick up though.

But either buy product from them so they know you, or prove experience buying other good product and I think that fear would quickly diminish. Ie a "known" person with a solid collection probably isn't going to be a screw around like fresh guys (like I was, fresh that is not a screw around).

Payment plans, tough one....I think 1500 > greater possibly with a non refundable deposit but normally, have the money up front, saves everyone time and stress.

I feel everyone's pain. Same boat, but it doesn't matter how hard you row, they still like to rock the boat till it tips over. Now I'm like most breeders that don't bother anymore with the stupid questions and requests and yes, I too am becoming very short with them.

I once had a guy wanting to swap his radio and 4 sets of tyres straight out of his HQ Holden... BARGAIN!

I still don't take deposits but rather take people at their word.I put an reptile aside for them on the proviso that if their situation changes to let me know right away.Most of the time it works out fine.

I do the same Ramsayi, if I hold a snake for someone that's it, I hold it until they make the purchase or tell me they don't want it, my word is my word. Maybe I won't be in business long .

I do the same Ramsayi, if I hold a snake for someone that's it, I hold it until they make the purchase or tell me they don't want it, my word is my word. Maybe I won't be in business long .
On the contry, you'll be in business forever! If i applied that rule i would have say 50 snakes on hold without any response from their intended owners, many with part payment.

Ha! Yeah Warwick, so far so good for me but I've only had one season of breeding.

I have recently developed a new respect for breeders and why they can appear short when you make enquires. I'm not a breeder but I have an adult pair of bredli and a trio of sugar gliders up for sale at the moment and I can't believe the crap you gotta put up with, had the bredli sold pretty much got prices on freight for them bought a tub to ship them in got times on flights only to be told his missus said no, then ya get them ones that want payment plans, then ya get ones that ask for photos even tho you have some on ya adds, and that's just for the snakes, the gliders have bought the best ones in, people enquiring about weather I have babies for sale, or emails starting with "I'm not interested but....." Had one that didn't want the enclosure , ok I'll do that work out a price agreed on then will you take $100 a week...NO will you take $150 a week...No, oh ok will you just sell me a pair instead of all 3 NNNNOOOO I won't. Then get cranky when you tell them to stop wasting ya time! Anyway my new adds now start with NO TIME WASTERS, yes you require a licence for these animals, no I don't do payment plans AND FOR CHRIST SAKE IF YOU DON'T HAVE THE MONEY DO NOT ENQUIRE ABOUT THESE ANIMALS!!!!!!

I know your frustrated, but try not to look rude to a potential sale; or somepeople just wont buy.

If i dont have the money up front for a reptile i make an enquiry first and go from there. I paid $600 for a trio of hatchling ridge tailed monitor early last year. I sent the seller a message asking how many he had left and if he was expecting a second clutch, seller said they had 2 remaining and were waiting on second clutch to hatch and gave me a rough date. I scrapped the cash together (seperate to our holiday/house deposit money) a few weeks before they were due, i think sent the seller and message asking them to let me know when they were ready.

I also enquired about a hatchling jungle python a few weeks back and asked if they would swap some bearded dragons (they have a fair collection already of the), he responded saying he need the cash and wouldnt swap. I got back to him saying if i get the cash together and he still has one then i wish to purchase one.

I dont believe i have wasted anyones time with theses enquires at all as i did or will purchase the animals if i have the funds available. Some people have the money for new reptiles just sitting there waiting for something to pop up, other people are waiting on sales themselves go be able the afford new reptiles. I budget myself yearly for any new purchases, last year i spend just over my limit of $1000 and this year have only spent $200.

Rick

i honestly think sellers can be too cagey these days, i see hundreds of adds saying PM or text for pics then complaints about pic collectors! i for one wouldnt buy anything i havent seen and kicked the crap out of its tyres, people seem to think if they put a high price on something people wont ask many questions and assume its good quality, but really how am i going to know what im handing you money for unless i ask you 101 questions............................... ( I 2 that and that's the way it has to be if you do not like it don't sell stuff sometimes selling things is harder than breeding your pets

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back