HELP! Lost snake

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

shinysoul

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I'm pretty new to this and you guys were REALLY helpful with my snake feeding but now I have a new problem. My brother has an albino diamond python about two years old. Really placid, beautifully tempered snake but my brother accidentally left the cage open and the snake has escaped. He lives in a granny flat so it's not a huge place but we've been looking for four days and have found no trace. We've left plastic bags to hear him slither around, flour to see if he's moved, hiding spots and heat mats on the floor to try and draw him out but there's been absoultely no sign. he's just eaten and pooped the day before he disappeared so he's not hungry. I've left heaps of bowls of water and have turned the place upside down. We're in the process of removing every item from the room to see if we can find him but does anyone have any tips? I'm devastated; he's such a beautiful snake and I could throttle my brother! :cry:

- - - Updated - - -

How long can a snake survive? I'm keeping the room heated with the aircon but I truly dont know what else to do.

- - - Updated - - -

How long can a snake survive? I'm keeping the room heated with the aircon but I truly dont know what else to do.

Bumping this for you until someone with experience can help you out shinysoul.

In the meantime, there are a lot of threads on here about lost/missing snakes. Try a search.

Albino Diamond, hey?

They can survive a very very long time, especially at that age and assuming it is in good condition. Keeping the room heated is probably counter-productive because if it’s warm enough, it won’t seek out the heat sources you’re leaving to draw it out. If anything you would want to cool the room down.
If you’re certain it can’t have escaped the room/house, then don’t stress, it will turn up. The best places to look are either up really high or under something very secure and dark. You’ll be surprised what size places they will squeeze themselves into. They don’t actually like the large open hide spots that mode keepers provide in their enclosures.

Can you show us a pic of this albino diamond, and if we see it we'll let you know

I read a post on a lost snake, and a bunch of people reported finding them in places like shoes. If i were a snake, i'd curl up behind the refrigerator, plenty of warmth and snugness back there, guess you just have to try to think like a snake and keep setting your stealthy traps as you already have done. I've heard stories of young snakes turning up 6 months later, i'd hate to think how long they could last if mature and healthy. good luck!

When my Albino Darwin Carpet escaped i did the following and caught it first night , not sure if it will work with a Albino Diamond though ?????? Try it .

All you have to do is place a food source in a container ( like a wire cage ) at dusk and leave the room for a few hours.

Hopefully the snake will be roaming around smell the food source and try to get into the container to have a feed and it will be on top of the container when you go into the room .

Check in/around anything electrical...heat source afterall.
I did the same with a 3 month old Spotted few years back and it had got down 1.2m to the floor, worked its way 17m around the house and found it curled up around my daughters ipod wall charger!
Although it did take 4.5 hrs and I destroyed a few items lookingView attachment 306359

Look up on the curtain rails. Any small area it could squeeze into. (I'm assuming it is an albino darwin not a diamond).

One of my Jungle Pythons escaped a while ago, I looked everywhere but it was hopeless, they can hide so well. A couple of months later I got up in the early hours of the morning for a glass of water & there he was hanging on the phone wires staring at me. He was hungry.
So don't give up!!
A friend lost hers and it was hiding in the top window runners, hanging in there for a week or so. Fell out when she opened the window, lucky it didn't get squashed. Worth a look.

Last edited:
Sooo one of my carpet python hatchlings escaped about a week after hatching... Sigh the first few days we searched intensively but with no sign, then about 1-2 weeks after that I found a beautiful little shed skin waiting for me in the kitchen but still no sign of the snake... Then 4 nights ago I was checking on my other animals (the air conditioning was on so it was quite cold) and I found him slithering near my kittens mesh carry crate!! He was looking for a nice warm spot

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When my Darwin was a baby he got out and I found him curled up in the drawer under his tank.

Our spotted got out we never realised till I saw him slithering across the laundry floor towards the on tumble dryer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back