Why you should use the snake hook (aka my first tag)

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Multifoliate

Not so new Member
Reaction score
So, I was an idiot this Wednesday and reached into Bob's enclosure to change his water.

Hungry bredli + warm, approximately rat sized hand from above = bite.

The culprit

Blurry first pic

Once all the blood was washed away

2 days later, look at that bruising go!

Today

Love bite ONLY!!..... Most carpets friendly or not will get u eventually sticking your Hand in the enclosure... Simple ... Just hook out and they will be fine...they ( most ) become enclosure defensive spesh if u feed in there ... IMO and I feed all in enclosures it's just to easy to hook out without stress to the snake and return ( normally they harder to get back in and people think snakes r not intelligent lol)

Oh, this was entirely my fault.

I should not have "dangled" my hand above his head. He's not enclosure defensive, just hungry.

Wow, decent bruise for a quick hit, and he's still fairly small compared to what he will be. He's beautiful by the way :)

Bruising like that is fairly normal :). If you don't want to use a hook, just touch the snake's head/nose with a rolled-up sheet of newspaper - it will immediately "pull it's head in" and you can then reach in quickly and grab a coil. Very hungry snakes may still bite though.

Jamie

Next time use food not your hand to see if your snake is hungry . Looks painfull . Must have been a feeding bite . How long did he hold on for .

Sent from my GT-I9300T using Tapatalk

Wow, decent bruise for a quick hit, and he's still fairly small compared to what he will be. He's beautiful by the way :)

Oh, he is gorgeous. Love the warmth of the colours on bredli pythons

Next time use food not your hand to see if your snake is hungry . Looks painfull . Must have been a feeding bite . How long did he hold on for .

Sent from my GT-I9300T using Tapatalk

I will. I think trying to eat my hand is biting off more than Bob can chew. ;) He's getting a nice big rat instead.

He held on for a minute or so, then let go to reposition, at which stage I started pushing him off my arm.

Surprisingly it didn't hurt much at all. Bit of a sting when he first struck, but after that it was quite pain free. They are some seriously sharp teeth.

Bruising like that is fairly normal :). If you don't want to use a hook, just touch the snake's head/nose with a rolled-up sheet of newspaper - it will immediately "pull it's head in" and you can then reach in quickly and grab a coil. Very hungry snakes may still bite though.

Jamie

That's a great idea. Luckily, I have been spurred to find the hook and it is now put away on top of his enclosure, but if I lose it again, rolled up newspaper it will be.

Must admit I am glad to be told that the bruising is standard and I wasn't bleeding inappropriately :D

Tongs are heaps better :lol:
Where would the python get the tongs to grab me with? He's not allowed in the kitchen.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Happens to every snake keeper sooner or later...so congratulations?! Bredli's are worth it though - but yeah, go the hook.

Those are sharp teeth indeed. I got whacked a few times by a 2m diamond recently that I was relocating for a neighbour and counted over 70 puncture marks.....tiny, but they sure did bleed :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back