Hello from Gold Coast!!

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Classabear

Banned
Reaction score
So I've been on here for about a week or two now, but have never properly introduced myself.
My name is Chelsea, i'm currently 18 years old and reside in the Gold Coast, QLD :)

I joined this forum as a newbie (and am still a newbie) to keeping snakes, although I have had previous reptile experience before. I've never handled or kept a snake before, but I love them. In about 1 month or so i'll be investing in a SE Queensland Carpet Python as my first snake, and with every day that goes by, I get more and more excited!!!

My dream is to work with animals, preferably reptiles as I am naturally attracted to them, and have been since a kid, despite any relatives or friends owning any. I simply just don't know how I would get into that industry. (If anyone has some tips, let me know!)

I'm generally a really nice person, and I love observing this forum every day and learning new things! Hopefully soon, i'll be able to share my knowledge with others, but I don't think i'm experienced enough yet.

Nice to meet you all, get used to me... I'm going to be a new regular here ;)

(PS: If anyone knows if feeling the need to buy every snake/snake enclosure or item is considered normal, let me know.. I fear within 6 months my house will be a crazy reptile/snake zoo...) :)

- - - Updated - - -

View attachment 306558
View attachment 306559
View attachment 306560
Thought I'd share some pics from the breeder :) From top: Dad, Hatchies, Mum...

Welcome :) I'll tell you now that the feeling of wanting to buy everything only gets worse haha there is always an attractive different locale colour morph or pigment out there even if you have the same species. Sounds like you are excited for your first snake. You should be. It's awesome :). Good luck with everything.

Welcome to the forum!
Oh yes, that feeling is normal, and as Riffherper says, it only gets worse. Pythons, dragons, geckos and skinks.

If by the "industry" you are referring to the zoological industry then experience is everything. A tertiary education is helpful but practical experience is what employers want. Being friendly and personable is good as well. Most keepers start off as volunteers, it is a very competitive industry so showing that you have the commitment through volunteering is pretty standard these days. I have been a volunteer/student/employed in the industry for 6 years and the first 4-5 were mostly volunteering, you won't need to volunteer anywhere near that long to get in, I just had a very specialized interest which has finally paid off but I did everything possible to get me there.

If you are determined you'll get there.

Australian Flora and Fauna is great and it is even better to have good hobbies (mine would be herpetology, tinkering, gardening)

I would get a few snakes and learn from them before purchasing every breed known, some species are not too forgiving to error. haha

BTW

^.^. Welcome to the forums and best of luck on your learnings.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back