Question on feeding

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Psyche

Reaction score
Hey all,
Im new to the forums & snake keeping having recently got my first home snake a carpet python.
At the moment he's on one small mouse a week which is what I was told to give him when I got him

My question is how do I know when to increase the size of mouse or how many I give him etc?

20 - 25 % of there body weight once every 5-7 days . But depends in how fast you want your snake to grow .

Sent from my GT-I9300T using Tapatalk

There has been lots of studies on how often and how much to feed your snakes, and like mentioned before it all depends on how fast you want your snake to grow.
Just my opinion, 25% of the body weight is getting to the large end of the scale for a feed, MathersD may have found it ok with his collection, please don't flame me MathersD.
You get all sorts of advice on APS and I have found personally myself 15-20% the body weight of your snake is reasonale, jmo.
For cost reasons you are best to get your snake onto rats as early as possible, because if you have a coastal or bredli or similar breed of snake that grows to a large size, you find feeding 500grams plus of adult mice will soon break your savings account.
I feed my yearlings every 10 - 14 days and my adults every 4-6 weeks and even stretch that out longer for my adults snakes at times.
Check out the many threads on this subject on this site and you wll find plenty of information that will be helpful.

Banjo . All valid points . Its all up to what age and what you want to do . There are many different theorys . So I always say what ever works for you .

Sent from my GT-I9300T using Tapatalk

I feed all my animals quite hard for the first two years, slow them back after that and then just maintain their condition.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back