What's the %

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

2.3casper

Reaction score
Hi guys just what to ask .if some one has 2 100 % het albino b dragons ,and they lay eggs. and I get 4 baby's form them eggs and there 66% het What is the chance I hit the albino g is it 1 in 3 ? I think there where 15 eggs all up

Last edited:
Might have to have another read of this one and fix it up. I'm unsure what you mean.

If there 66% that means they aren't proven hets they use 66% cause out of a het to het pairing you get 66% of the clutch to be 100% hets so there is a chance they could be normal type.

If there 66% that means they aren't proven hets they use 66% cause out of a het to het pairing you get 66% of the clutch to be 100% hets so there is a chance they could be normal type.

Not true at all.
That's why you see "possible" and "proven".
If you breed two 100% hets you will get a % of albinos, a % of hets and a % of normals. 66% is exactly that. It's not a term for "maybe". [MENTION=21544]saximus[/MENTION] has a pretty good grasp of these things. Hopefully he will help.

Not true at all.
If you breed two 100% hets you will get a % of albinos, a % of hets and a % of normals. 66% is exactly that. It's not a term for "maybe". @saximus has a pretty good grasp of these things. Hopefully he will help.

You are both correct - more so fractal man. 66% means that there is a 66% percent chance it is a het. There is a two in three chance that that particular reptile is a het rather than a normal. As the phenotype is identical between hets and normals it is impossible to prove which is which without looking at the genotype or breeding. 100% means that there is 100 percent chance that it is a het (guaranteed). The term proven to me is only used to state whether or not the reptile has bred.

in relation to the ops question. If you do end up with both hets breeding then the chance of albino is 25%. If you end up with a normal and a het or two normals breeding then the chance of albino is zero unless you breed back the progeny to the parents.

Last edited:
You are both correct - more so fractal man. 66% means that there is a 66% percent chance it is a het. There is a two in three chance that that particular reptile is a het rather than a normal. As the phenotype is identical between the two it is impossible to prove which is which without looking at the genotype or breeding. 100% means that there is 100 percent chance that it is a het (guaranteed). The term proven to me is only used to state whether or not the reptile has bred.

Perhaps, but when looking outside the albino gene proven can be used.
Hypermelanism in Bluies is a good example the Hets clearly show through. If it was 66% chance of being a het wouldn't it be stated at poss. 66%?

Thanks for the compliment Mr Fractal Man. Riffherper's answer is pretty much what I would have said. In your Bluey example you wouldn't need to describe the percentage because it is a visual het so it's easy to see whether it is or isn't. Percentage probability is only required where the hets are visually indistinguishable from wild types.

To the OP, why do you want to breed albino Beardies? From everything I've read it's a very flawed mutation with very few of them living into adulthood. If you want a white Beardie maybe you'd be better of looking into hypo/high white animals?

Perhaps, but when looking outside the albino gene proven can be used.
Hypermelanism in Bluies is a good example the Hets clearly show through. If it was 66% chance of being a het wouldn't it be stated at poss. 66%?

66 percent means just that. There is a 66 percent chance it is het. If it is a het and can be proven so it is just a het - no need to specify 66 percent. Two hets breed right. The breakdown is 25 percent are albinos this is easily identified, 50% chance of het and a 25 percent chance of normal. You can't tell the difference between the normals and hets as I stated earlier. Therefore there is a two in three chance (66%) chance that the normal looking progeny are het.

Not true at all.
If you breed two 100% hets you will get a % of albinos, a % of hets and a % of normals. 66% is exactly that. It's not a term for "maybe". [MENTION=21544]saximus[/MENTION] has a pretty good grasp of these things. Hopefully he will help.
I don't get how I'm wrong I was lead to believe 66% is a term for "maybe"

Last edited:
Mate it's not easy stuff. It helps that I've studied genetics at a university level. It's better explained face to face with drawings and stuff.

Sorry, there have been a number of posts whilst I wrote this.

This worked solution using a punnet square should enable you to see where the percentages come from...

SYMBOLS: Let N represent the allele (gene) for normal colour
Let a represent the allele (gene) for albinism

PARENTS: N a (het albino) x N a (het albino)

CROSS:
border="1" align="left"
|-
| x
| N
| a
|-
| N
|
|
|-
| a
|
|
|-

All four possible outcomes are individually equally probable.
border="1" align="left"
|-
| x
| N
| a
|-
| N
| N N
| N a
|-
| a
| N a
| a a
|-

RESULTS: Genotypes & Likelihood Phenotypes and Likelihood
N N = 1 out of 4 Normal = 3 out of 4
N a = 2 out of 4 Albino = 1 out of 4
a a = 1 out of 4

There are three outcomes that result in normal colour. One of these three has two copies of the normal colour allele (gene). Two of these are heterozygous carrying the recessive allele for albinism as well asthe dominant allele for normal colour.

The probability a normal coloured bearded dragon is homozygous for normal colour is 1 out of 3 = 33.3%.
The probability a normal coloured bearded dragon is heterozygous for normal colour and abino (i.e. carrying the recessive allele for albinism) is 2 out of 3 = 66.7%.

What you need to understand is that probabilities are NOT predictors with small samples. They work well with very large samples. For example, we know there is a 50% chance of having a girl and a 50% chance of having a boy with each child people produce. Yet I know a family that has seven sons. However, if we check the gender of babies born in Australia in any one year, the ratio of females to males is 1 : 1.

Blue

It's just that I have white ones and I just really like the Albino ,and I love to have one why do u say it a flawed mutation. Thanks for all the help guys

From what I have heard albino beardies have been produced however soon die due to complications ie flawed mutation

e2ebyjem.jpg
perhaps this helps

Sent from my GT-I9300T using Tapatalk

Riff do u know of any place I can find something to read on this cuz I don't want that to happen

So I bought a pair that was meant to be 100% het and out of 6 hatchings and 3 clutches I've got only got normal type looking they are Nephurus sp

It's possible you've just missed the odds but it's also possible you were lied to. How well do you know the seller DD?

Um there is no such thing as 100% het for albino bearded dragon
to get a 100%het you need one of the parents to be albino and as none have survived to breeding age you only have possible or 66%hets

dragondragon,
You cannot use probability as a predictor with small numbers. If both parents are het, then you have a 1 out of 4 (25%) probability of getting a double recessive showing the recessive trait. That does NOT mean that you will get one in every four offspring showing the trait. You might get twelve normal looking offspring before you crack a double recessive. You might get two straight up. What I would say is that if you have not got one by the time you get twenty offspring, it is starting to look like at least one parent is not het. If the dealer is trustworthy, it will eventually happen.

Blue

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back