First Rat Rack

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

TheReptileCove

Reaction score
Hey all,

my collection is starting to grow so i thought it was time i had a go at building a rack to breed some rats.
I have attached some pictures of certain parts of the process.
A couple of problems i encountered -
It is a little bit wobbly as i used the wrong wood. I think if i had used 2x4's or something similar i would have had better results.
My measurements were a little bit rushed so some parts aren't flush, but to be honest, it's not anything that bothers me.

Luckily all the tubs run smooth and it is working great so far!

Any tips for future rat racks would be greatly appreciated!

edit - Why do all my pictures always go sideways when added to a forum post!?

20140304_122613.jpg20140302_152250.jpg20140302_152240.jpg20140304_145154.jpg20140304_161828.jpg

Looks good mate exactly the same as mine. Just nail a cross brace at the back of them. Will stiffen her up beautifully And will also stop you from pushing the tubs back to far.

I didn't have anything at the back of mine and pushed tubs too far back twice but didn't lose any rats, they did climb out but sat on top of the mesh above the tub and once chewed all of the hose for the automatic waterers.

To be honest, i made the screen tops a little bit longer lengths ways than i meant to. So might not have the issue at all seeing as i would have to be stupid and push the tubs a fair way back for there to be a gap. Just a precaution i guess

Best mistake you can make. I did the same as andynic but was also lucky they didn't jump ship

do those tubs have a tiny hole at one end up on the curved lip? If they do cover it with a bit of builders strap or something as eventually they may/will get chewed on as thats what happened to mine over time. Very annoying.

Looks like a good little setup.

do those tubs have a tiny hole at one end up on the curved lip? If they do cover it with a bit of builders strap or something as eventually they may/will get chewed on as thats what happened to mine over time. Very annoying.

Looks like a good little setup.
They look like the concrete mixing tubs which from memory do not have any holes but I could be wrong.

Is it worth putting a hole in them say 30mm from the base (glue a washer around it so they cant chew it) in case the tubs flood? I guess it would really depend on how much water your reservoir held though so maybe you wouldnt need too.

Rick

Is it worth putting a hole in them say 30mm from the base (glue a washer around it so they cant chew it) in case the tubs flood? I guess it would really depend on how much water your reservoir held though so maybe you wouldnt need too.

Rick

I have found someone that supplies the gear for the watering systems so once the rack starts filling up will be switching over to that. Thanks for the tip, seems like a great way to handle the issue with the sippers leaking.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back