Pond for my Coastal? Good or bad idea?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Django

Reaction score
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia
Hi All,

We have a Coastal Carpet Python who loves soaking in his water bowl. He doesn't have mites and his temperatures seem okay (although his enclosure is too small for him. He's about 2.5m and is in a 4' vivarium.

We're having a new one built (1000wx600dx1800h) and I was thinking of putting a small fiberglass pond in the bottom for him. Nothing too deep but something bigger than a bowl.

I'm wondering if this is okay or if it's a bad idea. Any thought or experiences would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Sounds like a good idea to me. As long as it is removable for cleaning purposes why not!

Just keep an eye on the humidity, if my understanding is correct then a bigger water bowl with more surface area will raise the humidity so just experiment and see how it goes before you put your snake in.

Would not advice doing that. The extra surface area of the pond will increase humidity to a high level which could cause scale rot and or RI's. Also, I have found in the past Pythons will submerge themselves in the water even on cold nights and again can cause RI's. Just stick to your small water bowl, its much safer.

l respect "bigguy's" opinion but l would have "one of" the biggest Coastals around at 14 kgs and close to four meters and he has a soaking bowl and has done for years with no side effects once or twice a week he has a good soak and just prior to shedding, but he is in a floor to ceiling enclosure. solar 17 ~B~

I think it would be fine in the size of the enclosure your placing it in! Some things to consider would be drainage of the pond for ease of cleaning purposes.

Maybe install a small exhaust fan to help keep the humidity down?

Thanks everyone for your input. As a first time poster it's really nice to get such quick, positive and helpful info from you all.

It seems like the general consensus is that humidity is the concern (@bigguy - I'm not ignoring your concerns regarding submerging themselves). If I can keep the humidity under control then it's possibly do-able. I was originally thinking something with a small pump to keep the water moving (a small corner waterfall or something) but I think that will just cause too many problems with the humidity.
[MENTION=3145]solar 17[/MENTION] - I'd love to meet your Coastal one day. Makes Django seem like a little pisher at 2.5m and 4.5kg!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back