Herping Project Help

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kyle94

Reaction score
Hey guys,
So i have a project for university which requires me to do some field work surveying reptile species between Brisbane and the Gold Coast. The aim of this experiment is to set up an experimental design where snakes/lizards/turtles can be identified/photographed and compared between a few different natural sites. So i am posting on here to get some insite on where some hot spots might be. Even just an area where there might be high diversity of skink species would be great.
Your help would be muchly appreciated
Cheers Kyle

Could you please explain a bit more what your trying to do?
photographing and comparing reptiles between sites isn't very descriptive or scientific? what are you comparing? Between brissy and the gold coast your not likely to find much if any variation in pattern etc between reptiles the distance between is to small to show variation i would have thought (I assume this is what you are doing?). If your doing a university project I imagine whoever is supervising should be helping you with your experimental design, you'll need that to be sorted before you start anything.

The aim of the assessment task is not so much the results we obtain, but the effort my group goes to, in searching and identifying reptile species. We have no supervisor, it is kind of just a small project to get us out into the field, instead of being behind a desk listening to boring lectures. All we have to do is find a reptile hotspot, survey the area, identify the species, and compare the ratio of species found. Im not asking for help on the project, all i am asking is if anyone knows of some good spots to find some herps.

How have you got this past your animal ethics committee? Surely they will at least need design and location prior to giving you access to the uni permit.

As Eipper pointed out, the catching of any reptiles (or other native fauna) could land you in a fair bit of trouble without correct ethics and permits. A project of this description would be much better aimed at birds (more diverse and abundant). Although surveying birds would technically require ethics and state approvals...even just to count them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back