Lost Diamond

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

IzzyH

Reaction score
We have had an inspection here the other day and as per usual I rolled our enclosure into the garage and threw a bit of bric-a brac over the top of it.When I had it back in the office I noticed the yearling was gone.I am almost totally certain that the enclosure is escape proof but I think that as I swung it into position the bottom hinged door might have opened slightly. That's the only explanation I have anyway.
I have now spend a good half a day looking everywhere I could think of but with no result.
I know that there have been a few posts regarding lost snakes but I thought I put mine in here as well.
The enclosure is now back in the garage,with the bottom door ajar and a fresh rat placed inside it. I have also placed a heatmat on the floor ,with a hiding box on top as it has been quite cool the last two or three nights.She had a feed just last Thursday and I don't think she would be hungry enough for another just yet.
There is a slight gap under the door, which is right next to where I hid the enclosure ,that leads to the outside.I am now wondering if she would have preferred to stay in the warmer inside or if she was keen enough to venture outside.It is not very bushy outside as we live in a unit sort of complex but there is just too many places to look for.My daughter is devastated and I am using the opportunity to spend time with her searching.
Have you had any luck finding a lost diamond or any other python or have you got any tips for me ? I will listen to any suggestions no matter how silly they might seem.

Oh gosh.. i used to always hide my enclosures for inspections, BUT would take the snake out first before moving it and keep her in a pillowcase.
Hopefully she is still in your garage..good luck.

I am sorry to say, my escapee is still running :( I hope you have better luck than me in finding your lost Python. All you can do is what you have done and perhaps lay some flour down around the perimeter to see if your python is still around in there? At least you might get an idea if it is still in the garage? Best of luck
Crystal

there was a lost - so called ALBINO diamond - on here the other day - LOL

i told that person how to catch it with no feedback or thanks , but i will repeat it for you.
Whatever you feed your snake ..... rats or mice..... you need to get a live one and place it in a cage .... like a small budgie cage , so the snake can see and smell it. Place it in the middle of the room/garage.
Your snake will hide during the day and become active just after dark. Go away so there is no noise or disturbance or wait an hour or two, after sunset and poke your head in there - best with a torch or just turn on the light. Hopefully the snake will be on top of the cage trying to get at the food source , or will be nearby.
I have done this several times when my kids were at home and always left cages unlocked or open ,and it worked every time.
Good luck

- - - Updated - - -

any luck ?

Hi hulloosenator,the correct answer is yes and no.Let me explain.
I did get a male mouse the other day,made a cage out of two half's of a fan,laid it on top of some shredded newspaper and felt very confident I would succeed . The little,guy peed and it smelled and all that walking made a nice rustling sound.
The next morning I went to check and would you believe it,the mouse was gone but I can not see a snake.Turns out my daughter,who was told by her mother about my plans,decided a cute little rodent deserves to live a free life too.
Anyway,I just heard a knock on my door (it is 11pm) and it is my neighbour,if I would be so kind and remove a snake from her bedroom wardrobe. So I quickly get dressed ,brush my teeth and grab a bottle of wine (did I mention she is almost 6 feet and ......)
But yes,it was our snake and her visitor brought her out on stick.I'm glad he is a vet with a passion for animals,rather than a moron with shovel.

Thanks for your advise,unfortunately I can not confirm if your trick works but the Isolde had a happy ending.

Glad to hear you got your snakey back unharmed :D

For others reading this thread, the only suggestion I can make above what Hulloosenator has suggested is to double cage the rodent, that is put the cage with the rodent in it inside another cage. The reason for this being that if snakey is trying to get at the food item and wraps itself around the cage, the rodent will (quite rightly IMO) attack it through the bars, which can lead to unnecessary injuries. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back